A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: XML maker

XML maker

Ei I'm back for more nasty project... lolz! Ok here it is, I'm starting this project again same with the Updatable gallery. What I want to do now is create an application such as i-tunes music explorer, but I want pictures instead of mp3. Since I have alot of pictures about 8 thousand (gosh.. what a picture weirdo...lolz) I dont want to create a XML manually. So instead I would like to create an explorer were in I will drag and drop pictures to folders and once I press the "Create XML" button *puff*... XML is ready for the swf file to read... I know I'm asking too much but think of it as a challenge lolz!.. well somebody has to think out of the box...lolz!

Student
    I wrote several game editors that generate the XML data for me,- but what you might want is a system that works with several xml files (e.g one that contains the image paths and folder,- another one for general settings/ template,...) and creates the final xml for you.

Before take a look about the available XML editors on the net- some are very nice to work with and its not always worth the efort in creating an own editor. If you want I can post some samples of what I created

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    I just submitted a desktop application to the Koolmoves Exchange that will let you drag and drop GIF or JPG files on a program and it will write an xml file for reuse/re-read to flash. The package supplies a Koolmoves source file showing how to use the xml but all you need is the xml writer itself (the brunt of the download).

Thought I'd mention

http://www.koolexchange.com

ei thanks a lot! renderhjs could you post the link of your work? I could use some raw file to get an idea of how to start. I went to look for XML editor but none so far has suffice my needs. Anyway if you have link to great XML editor will you post it please. Really appreciate it... TNX!

Student
    well ok here he goes....

the first one here is merely a concept of a general XML editor. I tried to simplify the XML structure to a visual one. Its control would be very easy just add a node or a textnode and assign/ delete variables.
    screenshot:

url
    http://mitglied.lycos.de/mmvr1/flash...view/index.htm

the next one is a panel slicer wich I created for a manga project I did with someone else (the frames/ panels comics usually have). hit export to render the XML text
    http://mitglied.lycos.de/mmvr1/flash...nel_slicer.htm

and the last one here is already from an old project,- a zelda link to the past style game
    screenshot from engine:

but because the data of the tiles positions and hit- map went to complex on big maps I created this editor:

url of the editor:
    http://mitglied.lycos.de/mmvr1/flash...tor/editor.htm

so for me basicly all I need is a console,- or a textfield output in the editor. Even if I load other XML data into the editor I first sort out everything into arrays and objects,- and once I am done and created my map/ file,.. I render the arrays/ objects back to an XML structure.
    If you would use swf to EXE tool you could even enhace functionality to write real *.xml files to your HD.

Btw. if you are interested I have a dusty project that automaticly generates a XML of your folders and files. It´s a simple *.bat file (windows script) that creates the XML file,- a flash script can read out the structure. I haven´t used it yet for a real project- but I think this one might come in handy one time

Tnx a lot! Could you also post that windows script? Plain reading of my folders and files would be much help. What I had in mind first was a Nero Burning rom kind of interface wherein you drag the folders and files you want to burn, instead I would make them a XML file. Thnks a lot for the help! Expect me to come up more with crazy projects... lolz!

Student
    ok I found it (I had to seach a little bit),-

first of forgive me if I explain things you already know,- but maybe some others will not know yet- and so they can use this script aswell

here is the situation you´ll find in the archive (attached in this post) file:

you see that in the folder /sample folder/ are a couple of png and gif files and the BAT with XML file.
    So after you removed elements of this folder or added some files (any kind) hit the _index.bat file to generate the index.xml wich are booth in the same folder aswell.
    If you take a look at the index.xml file it couldn´t be any more plain:
    Code:
    Box.gif
    char__03.gif
    char__06.gif 
    char__10.gif
    char__13.gif
    DIGGER.gif
    etuix.gif
    foto.gif
    index.xml
    NES_Controller.png
    ogre2.png
    other.gif
    pc.gif
    rom.gif
    _index.bat
    the bat file (wich you can open with any simple text editor,- or script editor) contains the following stupid DOS script:
    Code:
    cls
    dir/b/p > index.xml
    so what does all that mean?
    cls = clear screen,- otherwise the console would stay open each time you press the bat file
    dir = list the current directory (the one this file is put into)
    /b = I´m not very sure here but I guess it was the bare format- meaning time stamp and other informations will be ignored
    /p = dont know the name for it anymore but I think it caused that all subfolders will be included (from the current folder onwards)

like I said this project is already a little bit dusty and I haven´t finished it yet- but things I already did are for example:
    A filter system that only lets pass file types I want in my list
    PHP Code:
    folder.filter = function(name){      
    var 
    ext name.slice(name.lastIndexOf(".")+1,name.length);      
    var 
    take =false;      
    switch (
    ext) {           
    case 
    "jpg" :               
    take=true;      
    break;           
    case 
    "jpeg" :               
    take=true;      
    break;           
    case 
    "gif" :               
    take=true;      
    break;           
    case 
    "png" :               
    take=true;      
    break;           
    case 
    "swf" :               
    take=true;      
    break;       
    default :           
    trace("take not: "+name);          
    take =false;      
    }      
    if (
    take){      
        return(
    name);  
    }else{          
    return(
    null);      
    }  

Attached Files Attached Files

ei thnx renderhjs! I think I have complete reference now. Anyways I may still make the XML maker just for the fun.. lolz! If I finished it I'll post it here just for anyone who is interested.. lolz! thnx for the help!