A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: UltraShock better then flashkit?

http://www.ultrashock.com or http://www.flashkit.com which is better? Which do you like best?

Well as a resource Flashkit is way better. For cutting edge Flash Ultrashock is the best I've seen. The Chat room is sick!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by apwalton
    Well as a resource Flashkit is way better. For cutting edge Flash Ultrashock is the best I've seen. The Chat room is sick!!!!!!!!!
    i'd have t agree eith that. US is more geared to fat pipe users though.

While US may be new and good looking, Flashkit still remains the source of everything that you need. Ultrashock seems to me to be 'just another one of those sites' where form fails to follow function. Flashkit is somewhere great to go to learn, in the easiest way possible, and remains the most reliable source of info.

I'm a hero like Robert De Niro
    I agree.I remember how a year or so ago you could find endless number of Flash resources sites... Flashzone,Flashplanet,Flashaddicts and the list goes on on.Back then Flashkit was just "another resources" site but since then it became something a whole lot big and major and I find no need to look for anything else.

With all the appreciation I have for the top flash designers and developers behind the Ultrashock project,right now it seems they have nothing new to offer.Just a really cool design and a bunch of tutorials.I hope they'll come up with a new concept for a flash resources site.Maybe something that is more of a flash designers resources site than a flash developers site cuz we have seen all of them and Flashkit rulz so why even bother?

McMurphy

Last Ju-Jitsu Warrior
    Look, Flashkit is a good resource, but Ultrashock looks great!

Flashkit doesn't have even one Flash animation in the site, when Ultrashock is using compact easy and cool animations.

They have the best and newest technology of Flash using their, like the Chat, it looks great (not to mention beside the CGI flashkit has...) And the guestbook is fantastic!

They look great, and have a good future, but I've just been to their forum, wich doesn't work, Flashkit is a community were suggestions are made to others and people actually talk about Flash life and just Life. Ultrashock is to know the firm of top cutting edge Flash masters.

Flashkit is far better in terms of solid resources, but for design and navigation - Ultrashock is pretty damn sweet.

Ultrashock is better than I expected, but then I was going on the comments from people who thought a resource site should be 100% Flash. So it surprised me to see HTML in the middle sandwiched between Flash headers/footers. The navigation is fun and definitely slick looking... but....

I'll get flamed for this: Ultrashock demonstrates Flash's weakest point, it's inability to completely integrate with HTML & the Browser.

They have honestly done one of the best jobs I've seen of getting an HTML window amongst the Flash, allowing for the zoom-zoom-fun of an animated interface to meld with the ability to use a mouse-wheel and proper (fully functioning, perfect normal) scroll-bars.

But in that effort they've had to sacrifice a very important feature that all resource sites should depend on: scaling the window. HTML can scale well, so can Flash, but when you put them together you often get something like Ultrashock: a small window into the world of text framed on top and bottom and forced to remain at 800x600 wide.

I need to READ on a resource site, not just look at the pretty animations. Resource sites should be filled with examples and tutorials that fill the screen, not the fancy interface of the site itself.

I say bury that interface and leave it for the corporate sites, the fan sites and the I-wanna-show-off-my-design-skillz sites. For the rest of us, we want the content.

So although Ultrashock was fun to visit, I can't see myself returning time and time again to learn new things. I'll stick to newsgroups, mailing lists and sites like Flashkit (slow as it may be, I just learn more).

War is futile: just drink beer phooka's Avatar

Flame you? Man, you must be joking!

Actually you've got a very true point there, even the efforts by Macromedia to create a stronger link between Flash and HTML, the fact is that both technologies DO crash from time to time when used together...

However, in most cases this "crashes" or incompatibilities can be avoided by a lot of site-checking before the final release. A funny example can be found when trying to register in the boards, now that they are collapsing: this is the message I received:
    "There seems to have been a slight problem with the database. Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser."

UltraShock splash page gives you 3 options, PopUp, Full or Normal browsing. So how am I supposed to press the refresh button if I am on full or in a pop-up?...

This kind of mistakes demonstrate that maybe they hurried things b4 they were completely ready for the storm...

Cool reply Rog!

Last Ju-Jitsu Warrior
    I know for most people Ultrashock will be a difficulty in the resizing, but I see it much better designed than Flashkit.

I love the interface, and I always liked small boxes.
    The articles aren't that much of a read, so it doesn't bother me the scrolling part.

I actually think they showed the best side of putting together Flash and HTML.

The navigation constant, so you don't have to wait for another page to load if you changed your mind on the page you want to see.
    They mention the size of the games and everything, so you know what to expect. The whole site is fully esteticly perfect. The Font and colors are great and don't make it hard on reading them.
    I must say this, their site loads faster than Flashkit times 2. Their images are bigger and cool.

They're just starting, anyone here remembers Flashkit along time ago? back in augost I remember it wasn't the biggest catch either between all the upcoming sites.

Ultrashock is less a resource site, and more an abillity site. I wouldn't go off and say they're less than Flashkit just because they have less resources, they've just gone up!!!

But don't worry, I'm still here with Flashkit (although we could use a chat like that!)

i disagree that ultrashock is a better design than flashkit... it's more gimmicky, it's grey, it's 'flashier', but when it comes to getting where you want to go, and finding what you want to find there's nothing wrong with flashkit's navigation.

ultrashock is still too much style over substance if you ask me. Maybe it's just too.... grey?

caithness massiv
    Originally posted by apwalton
    the chatroom @ banja is much better

'more gimmicky' is what i agree with... their tutes are pretty good...

flashkit still kicks arse over everything else... and it always will...

EVERYONE knows that Flash Kit is Number 1 resource site

UltraShock team and their moderators know Flash Kit is #1

The main point, this is only the beginning, they can get more and more popular. Again, it's a challenge we are talking here about. A lot of people here would say "No way they will have more members and sources" - that's possible.

BUT, there is more inspiration, more will to do flash, more COMPETITIONS! We need to stay within Flash Kit and keep supporting as we already have, by our friendly community, submitting new and better sources.

and guys, don't just kick away or ignore UltraShock if you don't like it, perhaps we can get used to it, get more will to do flash and help keep FK #1 and make it even better !!!!

I agree Flashkit rules. But US has a ton of nice things. You also cant expect that a site will start out with 3000+ fla's and 250+ tutorials. Flashkit too had to start somewhere. But flashkit is my one true love (marry me flashkit)

-Aaron