A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: about Jakob and his 'type'

Marketing & Branding Solutions
    Yeah, I think that was Jakob Nielsen who wrote this article. I almost got my manager to buy Flash 5 (in addition to Dreamweaver), but the next day I find this article torn out of a magazine on my desk. He didn't say he left it, but I knew it was him.

The think is, that article raised some valid points. There's no need to take it personal or look at Jakob and say he's an anti-change type. It's these kinds of attitudes that help us as designers keep a balance between design and functionality.

For example, he correctly states that Flash based content is generally not searchable (via search engines). Even though there may be ways to get around this. Much of the info I search for online is with search engines - as do most people who use the Internet. Don't get me wrong - people LOVE Flash content. The general society is brought up on TV, video and the like. It's only natural that Flash should follow.

But, that doesn't mean we can't make it perfect. I think it's possible to satisfy most personality types. Some like change, some don't. I personally thrive on change and newness, but on the other hand I dislike having to re-learn something I just got the hang of.

People like Jakob will eventually come around, it just takes longer.

- Yael

Jakob and his type need to take their propaganda, move to an island where technology stopped advancing around the time when the wheel was invented, and stay there, living the life of boredom they so desire. As for the rest of the world, hopefully we can all continue to stomach the pointless Flash, the unsearchable Flash sites, the color,the animation, and whatever else is so terrible about Flash.
    [yep, I'm laying the sarcasm on pretty thick. In fact, it should jump out of the screen and bite you. not you, digitalmineral, but everyone.]

mg33

War is futile: just drink beer phooka's Avatar
    IMHO: Jakob has got strong oppinions, and that makes him to speak a few rubbish from time to time. But he is also a great guru of usability and he has given some ideas to make better sites that are applyable to flash design. Great people have great flaws and great virtues...

(Not like me poor mortal... I've just got virtues! )

Samuel C. Granato
    Multimedia Utopia

Originally posted by mg33
    Jakob and his type need to take their propaganda, move to an island where technology stopped advancing around the time when the wheel was invented, and stay there, living the life of boredom they so desire. As for the rest of the world, hopefully we can all continue to stomach the pointless Flash, the unsearchable Flash sites, the color,the animation, and whatever else is so terrible about Flash.
    [yep, I'm laying the sarcasm on pretty thick. In fact, it should jump out of the screen and bite you. not you, digitalmineral, but everyone.]

mg33
    haha...the best quote from you in awhile. I totally agree.

sam

Thanks Sam.

mg33