A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Development Methodology

Lightbulb

I'm wondering if anyone out there is currently using a tested and working methodology for building large scale Flash applications across multiple developers.

At the moment our applications are generally developed by one person, with about 3-4 developers working on a project each. We are now needing to span one applicatioon across 1-2 developers.

Has anyone found a sucessful framework for this to work?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am also trying to figure this one out. I am currently leading a pretty large flash project at our studio. What has occured to me is to create a template of the general look and feel, generic buttons, graphic elements, ect. that can be loaded by my designers as a shared library. (if you are not familiar with shared librarys, look them up, they are cool) Not all my designers are all that savy with Ation scripting either, so i am trying to figure out what smat clips can do for me.

I think what is important is that you decide what level of colaboration that you want people to have. You template sections of the site, for people to simply lay in content, or on the other end you could provide ageneral idea of look and feel and let your designers run with seperate sections to see how they can help evolve the entire site.

If I have any genius ideas about how to do this, I will let you know.

--E8

I think letting developers run rampant each with their own section of a site is a bad idea. Because for the most part once it's completed and put together as a whole you won't get the fluidity between sections.

I think the best way, depending on how many people you have working on a project is to divide the site up into graphics/layout, coding, content.

An initial meeting to lay out all the needs of the project is important. Decide what features will be needed in it. From there your programmer goes to work coding smartclips/ actionscript files to implement later on. The graphics designer goes to work on the vector art, etc needed and the content developer handles all content creation and editorial needs.

The final step is merging it all together. The actionscripter will bring the designer the elements needed to incorporate into the site and the content developer will provide the completed content.

That's the way I like to coordinate things and it seems very effective. You also save time that way.

i think that with any project involving more than two people be that flash or programming or engineering there are certain stages of development you can't avoid...stages like thorough planning (making sure everyone knows exactly what the goal is and what the final product has to do), design (layout of color/components used/etc) than making sure that you all meet to discuss stuff once in a while and that all changes are approved before they are made...than its the coding/creating itself...than its testing (speed it takes to load, ease of use, etc)
    sorry for the ramble..i'm working on a project myself right now and that's what we have to go through...yuck!

Thanks everyone.

I've found that shared libraries are very "buggy" and have caused us a lot of problems, especially with shared font items.

We would only be having 2, maybe 3 at the absolute most, developers working on a single project, so perhaps [-S|NiStEr_MiNd-]'s idea of breaking it down in design / animation / coding, etc would be a good approach.

Thanks again for your input.