A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: XML versus ASP or what have you - E COMMERCE A GO GO.

hey now - where do you all stand on the basics of E commerce?

have got some serious material to cover for basic to int. students on E commerce, and the material I have been given to teach is pretty much theory on theory.....

now - been pushin Flash like crazy, so, I am leaning towards rockin the 'kids' towards an XML environment - but, with that said...

thoughts? input?? ideas???

we have about 2 1/2 weeks to cover the stuff - 6 hours a day, so thinking in 'teachin 'em from a text book form', we're talking 1 book, 1 subject, 15 to 20 chapters of material, 1 language - can't cover it all of course ( everything associated with E commerce ) but for a decent understanding???????

where's your theories be at?

thanks in advance all

FK Doctor of Love
    actually, from what i have seen in developing my first e-commerce situation, i would teach them ColdFusion

just a thought

Apples and Oranges.

E-Commerce isn't directly tied to XML, ASP, Coldfusion, Perl, PHP, etc. They all do it. Just take your pick of your favourites (I for one am tired of the debates from people who only know one method and slam the others).

I agree with Rog.

Often times pleople slam one method just because they dont use another.

I would go with XML just because it can be used on such a hige scale with pretty much anywhere. From there you just need to teach the parsers and com objects (which could come back to the choices)

Hey J!

You don't say when you need this by but the Flash 5 Dynamic Content Studio is out next month and there's some XML content in there. I'm not doing that one but the editors and technical reviewers are pretty hot so you can bet yourself that it's going to be good!

You'll probably find a lot of other useful stuff in the book too - it's 1000+ pages of complete database/server-side <==> Flash stuff!

Check it out: http://www.friendsofed.com/book_flash5dcstudio.html

...and no I'm not on commission. I get paid by the page!!!

Regards,

Steve

it better come out next month. i want my copies and my check !

Hey edeveloper!

I think Amazon have got it pegged at the 26th or 28th - something like that!

You did the ASP chapter right?

yep. i did.
    i really want this book to come out. i'm addicted to books. especially computer books.