A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can I loop a singal layer?

Red face

hello, well i am kinda new at flash and i was wondering if you can loop a sigal layer in a movie? if you can how do you do this if you can't is there another way of getting something to play over and over again during a movie instead of making hundreds of the same layer? if there is a way to do this could you give me explict details, cause like i said i am kinda new to flash..... well thx, later

basic action script

I also am new to flash, but this seems to be the easyiest route to do what you want. (as far as I know)

1. make another layer above what you want to loop, called 'actions' .

2. In the layer 'Actions', put a blank keyframe above the last keyframe of the part you want to loop.

3. Go to you actions menu (frame actions) ,
    • choose -> basic actions,
    • Doubble click --> 'Go To'
    • At ottem type the number of the frame where you want the loop to begin.

Post This will not......

this will not restart the other layers as well... will it not restart the whole movie... ?

jmlstudio
    Tamarabay's suggestion could work with a few more actions added, but here's another option. Do you know how to make a movie clip symbol? Go to insert>new symbol. Type in a name for your symbol, and select movie clip. Then put the animation you want to loop within that new timeline. Now, go back to your original stage by clicking "Scene 1" on the upper left. Then, open your library palette, find your new movieclip symbol onto your stage, and drag it onto your stage. That should make a looping animation without affecting your whole movie. Happy Flashing

JML

ok, i tried both...

ok i tried both and the first one just restarted the whole movie and the other one i made a movie clip then created the motion tween. after that i added another longer layer and tested the movie, and it did not loop, it waited till the movie was over and resarting to just start again.. could you by chance give me specifics on how to do this... or maybe giive me a link to a tutorial... thx again

Re: ok, i tried both...

The movieclip method should absolutely work.
    Make certain that you have, at a minimum, the same
    number of frames in the layer on the main
    timeline (for the clip) that you have in the actual movieclip itself. Also, when you test it out go up to the Control menuand deselect 'loop', then select 'rewind' and play it again. I find that sometimes having 'loop'
    selected screws things up when viewing movieclips.
    Hope this helps.

Panther

hey
    i had the exact same question and i've got a problem
    after i create the movie clip i dragged to over into the scene i want
    but the movie clip only shows up as one key frame with no movement
    so how do i get the picture to move and keep the action of looping?
    oh yeah BTW for the action do i just add an action and type the frame i want in the FRAME: part?
    thanks!!

loop a single layer

yeh, the only way to go is using a movie clip...
    select all the frames in the layer (or layers) you want to loop, select COPY FRAMES. Then create a new MOVIE SYMBOL and then PASTE FRAMES. Delete all the frames in the main movie timeline (the ones that you slected earlier to copy) and replace them with the new movie clip. You can extend the movie clip frames in the main timeline to whatever length you wish. You will not be able to see the movie clip animate until you actually publish your movie.