A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm making a CD

Wink

This CD has shareware on it.
    Each program has a button that says "Click here to install"
    I want clicking that button to trigger the installation for that program. (this is what they call running an executable file?)
    I have to make this work on a Macs and PCs.

I don't know how to do it!
    Thanks.

Wolfie

euhz

dealing with almost the same issue here...

I 'd say just make 2 seperate buttons ... one for the mac installer and one for the pc ... in both cases I suggest using the FS Command EXEC ... but for the mac calling the HQX (exe) and for the pc calling the EXE ... duh

anyway ,dunno if that's what you want
    just tryin to help

Wolf
    BElgium

Re: euhz

You're absolutely right.
    It works!
    Thanks (and I thought that it was going to be hard)

Wolfie

does it?

kewl , so it does work ... just calling the HQX with the fscommand EXEC....

When you autostart your cdrom ... what do you use to detect whether the user has a mac or a pc??

because I 'm making a cdrom ... for mac and pc ...

So let's say I made 2 files MacVersion.hqx and PCVersion.exe ... how do I manage for the Mac users that the hqx file autostarts ... and for the pc users that the exe autostarts???

thanx

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

don't know for the mac, but for PC open notepad and put:
    [autorun]
    open=yourexe.exe
    icon=youricon.ico
    and save the file as autorun.inf
    burn it to the root of your cd (where your .exe sits)
    You don't have to include the icon, but you can make custom icons work this way, create the icon, and put this in the file, and in windows explorer instead of the usual cd icon it will display your custom one.

awesome, I'mnot makin a cd but this is good reference.

Wolfie

resolved Well I AM

I am making a cd ... it's gotta be finished by tomorrow morning (it's 2 at night where I am now)

And I really need to know wbout the autorun issue for the Mac ... hmmz

yea that is good advice for when i make a cd.

Wolfie,
    Sorry - went home yesterday. I actually ended up using GET URL and then typing in the path of the application.
    As far as detecting whether the user has mac or pc, my art director says we are going to make a "hybrid" cd. (?)

I don't know...this is my first time doing this!

Yeah hybrid

that's what I got here too from our mac expert...Still trying to figure out what that is ...

He also told me that Macintosh doesnt have an autorun ... users get a popup screen and they have to click on the Icon that starts the standalone EXE ... so no autorun there ....

Now tryin to figure out what Hybrid cd means ...

Greetz

hmmz Hybrid

got this from the net

"Hybrid" CD-ROMs are data CD-ROMs which don't follow strictly the ISO 9660 standard. Don't be afraid, we won't repeat the standards and we won't juggle with the color books. We should only note that the term "hybrid" is used with at least two and maybe three meanings

yeah yeah whatever ... no clue

GReetz

I hear that it is very easy. I'll pass on what I learn when the guy I need to ask comes back to his desk.

Ok here is how WE do it.

With Toast 4.1, all you have to do is drag over the files you wish to burn and it makes it hybrid for you.

With the old Toast (3.1 or something) you had to go up to the menu bar and choose ISO or Mac and then burn them separately.

See? It's easy!

so basically ...

what you do is create everything you want on your cd on a PC , then with that Toast thingie , you can just drag what you made and it creates a "mac"version of it ???

is that it?

Yep, that's it.

You have your folder with all of your Mac junk in it and your folder with all of your PC stuff in it.

The only reason I am even touching a PC is to test the freeware I am burning and also to test the CD when it's finished.

Otherwise, I do everything else on a mac.

President, save the

toast will make the file system readable by mac or PC using the file system ISO9660, but to my knowledge it won't change a PC executable so its able to be read by a mac, you need a seperate binhex file. This is an entirely seperate issue from the file system of the hybrid cdrom, hybrids let the different files sit on the same cd so whatever machine you put it into reads the appropriate file can run it.

hiding the movies with autorun

i'm doing a cd too and using the autorun. is it possible to put all the movies in a folder and keep out the exe and the auorun file?

I don't understand what people are talking about when they say "autorun" ...is that a PC thing?

President, save the

obviously if your seperate swf's are a file deeper, the command in the main movie that targets them needs to include that information, you have to keep the file structure intact (just like you do when targeting clips...)
    an autorun command means that when you put the cd in the drive it plays the exe automatically, you don't have to double click on the file...

You mean i can include in the load movie command the fact that the swfs are not in the same folder ?