A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: bizzar preload theory

Ive got an idea, and I thought I'd run it through some smart people (you readers!) before I gave it a run...

... now I've noticed that when I got to my site, that like HTML pages, the navigator also caches the SWF files... so that when I revisit my site, the loading is instantanious....

which got me thinking... on preloading... You could load a section way before the user gets to it, but load it in the bacground... so that when it's chosen, it just gets whipped right up...

You could even do this by having a flash swf, that is only 1 pixel by 1 pixel on a splash page to your site... and load up the next flash page in that 1x1 swf...

... you could even link different section movies up... have it load one, when thats done, load the next, etc....

Does this idea make any sence what soever?

good idea but it would steal bandwidth from the initial preload. it would take forever to load the main flash that way.

Not if i had the swf files loading like there linked together...

it loadeds section 1, then when thats finsihed, it loads #2, then when thats finished... etc..

If i put something interesting and interactive going on for the viewer while all this is happening, no one would be the wiser i think...

right?

i see. it loads the main/iface flash and then it loads the rest as you view the main? cool. good idea.