A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Warning! There is a virus attached to one of the .fla downloads!

Hi! A couple of weeks ago I downloaded one of the .fla movies which happened to contain the virus W95/MTX.gen@M. I wish I could tell you which one it was, but it was a menu .fla. Attached in the zip file was a .txt file which unfortunately I opened without having my virus checker in place. The virus was a worm virus which resulted in wrecking my OS (Win 98) by replacing winsys.ini and explorer.exe amongst other things. The upshot of this virus was I needed to have my hard drive replaced as my local experts were unable to reinstall Win 98 - this probably was a fault on my hard drive but the virus obviously did not help by getting it in that situation in the first place - so be careful and (as I always will from now on) keep your virus checker up-to-date!

essJaie
    [Edited by essjaie on 02-19-2001 at 05:53 PM]

Ugly with a capitol F Ekostudios's Avatar
    thanx for sharing!

I would put this in the coffee lounge so more people see it!!!

That sort of thing can be a big bad problem

send the webmaster the url of the fla which you downloaded so it can be taken care of. make sure you carefully mark the link as unsafe!

o no. i think i could potentially be in trouble. haven't updated in 4 years! lol . but i'll just reformat, since i don't have huge projects like most of you guys.

please, someone get mark to scan every possible .fla or tutorial before distributing (if he doesn't do that already)

bob2007

Originally posted by bob2007

please, someone get mark to scan every possible .fla or tutorial before distributing (if he doesn't do that already)
    im sure theres some kind of virus check that goes over the files... unless i'm wrong, then we need that done