A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: No filling apparent... :-(((

Cow Icon

Hi.

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote a flash "renderer" for our main product, and it seems to work out fine. I mean, everithing that has to be on screen when I viewed the swf I genereted with any flash viewer was there.
    But, last week, I got a message from tech support that some of the animation I rendered would not import correctly in the flash editor.
    I fact, only the outlines would show, and there was no filling.
    I've look around in my code, searching for mistakes I could have made, but I have to admit, I didn't find any (still I know there has to be some, or at leat one...).
    The file we generate are quite large though, since we "render" 3D scenes (ranging 500KB - ~2MB). I don't know if there could be any relation between my problem and the file size...
    If you've ever encounter such a problem, or if you think you might have a lead about a solution to my problem, I'd like very much to hear from you.

Thanks a lot!

Jocelyn Legault
    Kaydara - Thinking in real-time
    http://www.kaydara.com

re: renderer

It could be a million things. Without code, it would be hard to tell. Does the SWF play fine in the player and import wrong in Flash, or what (I have seen this before)?

If you are dealing with large files, you are asking for trouble. Macromedia recommends not going over 1MB because of limitations in their code.

IMO the "suggestion" is for Flash, not the SDK. For the SDK, you can get an exact maximum. 64k object limit. period. go over, get trouble. If you need more than 64k of objects, use the Load Movie functions and split the movie into 64k object pieces.

--Jesse

The problem is apparent only in Flash (editor). The player plays just fine... Isn't it strange that it plays perfectly and just does scrap in the editor? Is it me, or there's something wrong with the Flash editor?
    BTW, even there has been some very large files generated (6MB+) that still played fine in the player BTW, most of the files we generate are usually in the range 100KB-500KB.
    As for the SDK, why would one get into trouble if one uses more than 64KB of objects? Is there any (undocumented?) flaws in the SDK? I mean, strictly speaking, if the machine has enough memory, why would the SDK run into trouble if one uses more than 64KB of objects?

Originally posted by Joce
    <snip>
    As for the SDK, why would one get into trouble if one uses more than 64KB of objects? Is there any (undocumented?) flaws in the SDK? I mean, strictly speaking, if the machine has enough memory, why would the SDK run into trouble if one uses more than 64KB of objects?
    If I'm guessing correctly what Jesse means, the SWF file format uses a unsigned 16-bit integer to store unique IDs for objects in the movie which will be manipulated by the player. So, you can only have 2^16 - 1 (65535) total objects in the entire movie or you will run out of ID's and the player will be manipulating things that it's not supposed to.

OK. I thought it was 64KB instead of 65535 objects. We don't have that many objects. That's for sure.
    Still, I don't know why even small files aren't viewed correctly in the Flash editor...

As for a code snippet, well, I cannot make anything public without prior acceptation of the management (the code belongs to them after all)... :-|

But any pointers would be welcome.

If it could give you a lead, I think it might be related to the FShapeRecChange function call.

Is there any known problems if I add a FShapeRecChange between two FShapeRecEdgeStraight (which I use to change the line style... In fact, it's used to toggle the presence of the outline).

No filling apparent ...

In your stupid b a s t a r d head. :0

Now F u c k O f f

Wink

Joce,
    I have met the same problem. And I think this is a bug in SDK, not your file size. You can test those swf file created by Lowlevel class in SDK sample code. After importing file "FExampleCircle.swf" to Flash Editor, its fill disappear. But please import "HFExampleCircle.swf" again, it's fine. Maybe to trace the base class can find the reason.

I hope it's helpful.
    Chun Ko