A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: what advice could you give to a budding pro?

i got flash in october and taught myself everyhting sicne then. I have had a ton of nice job offers and I made a few pro sites. http://www.solidesign.com .

I am just finishing my personal site http://www.axiomflash.com .

So I was wondering if anyone who has their own business could give me some tips on how to run mine. What is the best way to become known? How much do you charge. Etc. I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thank You.

Here's some advice, it's not neccesarily what you are looking for, but it's relavent to your efforts.

On you're personal site, drop any use of the word webmaster.
    Way too many people give themselves this title when they're working on nothing more than a personal site to show their portfolio and other related things.
    A webmaster in the true sense is somone who is a "master" of a group of people concentrated on a team effort of keeping a site running. That's what it means to me. A person who deals with: techincal aspects of a site, making sure all parts get created and function, coordinate the efforts of the others working on the site.

It's a word that gets overused by people, I've seen it so many times here it's unreal. People make a site, and they throw on that they are the "webmaster" and in the true sense of the word, they're not. It's used to be catchy, professional sounding, and give some notation of superiority.

I'm not trying to be negative at all, just offering what i feel is some good advice.

Many of the people I've seen give themselves a wemaster title-I'd LOVE to see them handle the tasks of a webmaster in the true sense of the word. This is not directed towards you-I don't know you or the things you are capable of doing.

I just would not take it seriously when I see a personal site, and it says "e-mail the webmaster" or some-such.

Take Care and Good Luck,

mg33

k, thanks

i was trying to make it sound more like a business with more than 1 person in it. lol

the traveler
    mg33, i couldn't agree more.. "webmaster" makes my skin craw. to me it means a dude who probably works between 2 and 1am doing "techy" things. site admin, server admin, db admin and such -- and couldn't design his way out of a paper bag.

i was doing a project recently for a design firm that didn't know anything about the web so they hired me. then they referred to me as a "webmaster" and i almost threw up.

aa, agree totally.

A class lecture I had last night in my Communication Technology course kind of summed it up as being someone who handles and coordinates a wide range of tasks, not neccesarily design. If you're a designer, go ahead and use that word "designer."

If that's your goal, you'll definatly be in a different crowd of people who assume what you do-like ones who see it say Webmaster and take you for a tech crazed nuts and bolts kind of person. Nothing wrong with that, but I can't stand when that word gets used to show superiority or status when that's not what the person does.

mg33