A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

Post your tributes here. I'll get my thoughts together and post later.

-----------------

Don Bradman dies

Sir Donald Bradman has died at his Adelaide home. He was 92.

Richard Mulvaney from the Bradman Museum has confirmed the cricket legend's death yesterday morning at his family home.

Mr Mulvaney says Sir Donald died peacefully in his sleep and his family were there not long after.

Mr Mulvaney said Sir Donald died in the morning from "old age".

"He was suffering from pneumonia before Christmas and was hospitalised for a short period, went home before Christmas and was really trying to recover," he said.

Mr Mulvaney said there was no question Sir Donald was the greatest batsman who ever lived.

"Any cricket lover or, in fact, any Australian and in fact many people around the world will certainly mourn Sir Donald's passing," he told AAP.

Sir Donald was born at Cootamundra in southern NSW on August 27, 1908, but grew up in the southern highlands town of Bowral, about 100km south-west of Sydney.

His wife Jessie Menzies, whom he married in 1932, died in 1997.

The couple had two children, John and Shirley.

I Heard it Through the Grapevine
    All associated with Flash Kit are in deep mourning for the loss of such a great man. He took cricket to another level that no one in the modern era will be able to match now or ever. The whole of Australia, and the world cricketing community are in mourning for his passing. The Don will forever live on in the hearts of Australians and anyone who takes even a passing interest in the game, for he surely is and will be the greatest of them all.

For the Americans who may have no idea of who Sir Don is, imagine your greatest ever baseballer - Ruth, Dimaggio or whomever it may be - then double their ability relative to everyone else's, and may begin to get an idea. Some international sports journalists who have a good knowledge of all sports even consider him the greatest sportsman ever.

Not only that, but most of his career was in the middle of the Great Depression, and he was also the most humble, honest and nicest man of all off the field.A truly, truly great Australian.

For more reports: http://www.smh.com.au/index.html

See the Flash tribute at http://www.smh.com.au/news/0102/26/u...bradflash.html with the famous song by Paul Kelly.
    [Edited by TheOriginalFlashDavo on 02-26-2001 at 01:53 AM]

God bless the Don

He changed the game, the little Aussie digger, Lest We Forget.
    p.s. thanks Don for the cover drive.

He was a great man, and even though he made english cricket fans shiver with fear when they heard his name, he did a whole lot of good for the game. I am sure i speak for English cricket fans too when i say he will be sorely missed.

We have a terrible arrogance to assume that our modern heroes are superior in talent and ability to anyone who has gone before. The first time I thought otherwise was upon seeing old newsreel footage of The Don at the crease.

His mastery with the bat was matched only by his grace and humility as a gentleman. Whilst records are made to be broken, it must be doubtful whether his phenomenal achievements will ever be matched.

A 'great' in every sense and a sad loss for cricket devotees around the world.

I havent got an idea of who this guy was, so Im not gonna pretend I feel sorry and stuff. But I do know you guys, and I wish y'all a lot of strenght....

Never heard of him, but he sounds like he was pretty good at the old willow and leather!

(Was it willow?)

I'm just not a sports fan!

92 not out.

He was Australian through and through, a great man in all senses of the word.

He once made comment that he was never hit on the hands. A few times in the ribs and once on the forearm.. but never on the hands. For those that know nothing about cricket, that is like a jockey never falling from his steed, or a bike rider never falling off his bike.

He is a legend... and like all Legends Sir Donald Bradman, will never die...

There are many things that make me fiercely proud to be an Australian. The fact that we were blessed with "The Don" is one of those things. He was so dominating in his career, I once read an international sporting comparison that said if Michael Jordan was as good as Don Bradman, he would have to have an average of 70 points per season. This is why we stand so proud and look back not with sadness but with happiness that we had such a true champion.

Average FK board member
    The don has died, but he will always be invincible to me...

I read in the paper and on several news sites that when Nelson Mandella was released from prison one of his first questions was "Is The Don still alive". Such was his awe. What an awesome moment - from one legend to another.

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    I remember somewhere that they asked him if he played today what his average would be.
    He said, "60 but you have to remember I'm in my 80's"
    That was brilliant. What a legend.

Hey info, that's not the info from the old Flashpad days is it?? Long time no hear....

What you been up to??

Dave

Davo!? It sure is me! The same info from the old days : ) How are you mate? I've been hanging around the kit pretty low key for the last year and a half or so, but have never posted until yesterday. About time I did! When I saw your handle I thought - "could that be Davo from flashpad"? hehe

I've been freelancing for the past 7 or 8 months. Flashing alot for Vodafone among others. Keeping fairly busy! What are you up to these days?

Good to see you were a fan of cricket and The Don.

- info

Freelancing huh?? Lucky you (presuming the money keeps coming in off course!!).

I'm working for a company that delivers corporate eLearning course, not the most exciting area but a stepping stone only. Had been hands off the Flash and design for almost a year, working as a Producer at Spike. Escaped from there in the nick of time - they're very top heavy with managers who have no idea - and now back as the lead designer/creative director.

Got my own website up - finally - just last week, so will now refine this and try for some freelancing on the side to start with. See how that goes, also thinking of heading to London end of the year, have a friend working over there as a Producer for some stupid money!

And I also have Uni on the side as well starting up again very soon, so not much time for anything else - well, apart from soccer... and a damn triathlon I promised a friend I'd go in!! Fool me huh?!?!

Cheers
    Dave

caithness massiv
    i take it the don is like the jordan of the nba???

i think it's awesome that FK is paying it's deepest respects with frontpage headlines... i'm sure Sir Bradman deserves nothing less... i wish i was able to see his mastery of the game

here's to great memories of great people...

For those of you who don't know who the Don was, here is a bit of his background information:

He had an average of 99.94 runs per innings (the next highest was only in the 60's).

He scored 29 centuries in his 52 test matches and only 28 times of the 80 times that he batted, did he not manage to score 50 or more.

It has been worked out that Sir Donald was a 1 in 1 000 000 000 that is, only 1 in every 10 000 cricket players reach test level and it will take another 100 000 test players before another one as good as the Don is born.

At only the age of 12, he was one of the best batsmen in his seniors team of Bowral, playing against grown men.

His highest score ever was a massive 334 only ever matched once by another Australian - Mark Taylor. Of these 334 runs, he scored 309 in one day (that is about what a whole team scores in 1 and a half days and he had to share the bowling with other batsmen).

His highest ever first class score was an enormous 452* (not out) for New South Wales against South Australia - a world record.

Not only was he a great cricketer, he played tennis with the Australian Davis Cup team, he won the South Austrlian Squash Championships, played golf off scratch and was superb pianist while staying possibly the most modest sportsman the world has ever known.

In a scoring system developed to compare players of different sports, Sir Donald scored the highest score of 4.4 with Pele in second with only 3.7 - a measure of the man's greatness.

Sir Donald was not only a great cricketer but also a great man, inspiring everyone from young children to adults. He will be greatly missed by all. We love you Don.
    [Edited by a_slosh on 02-28-2001 at 02:18 AM]