A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [

Statistical analysis of 'The Don'

http://smh.com.au/news/0011/10/sport/sport16.html

The statistician who wrote this article ranked all the great players of all sports. Here are some rankings:

----------------------------------------------------------
    Basketball: No surprise here. The greatest player ever is Michael Jordan, with a record average of 32 points a game in the NBA. Jordan's Z-score is 3.4.

Soccer: Based on his ability to score goals in internationals, Brazilian legend Pele, with 77 goals in 92 games, is the greatest of all soccer players. His Z-score is an outstanding 3.7.

Tennis: The upheavals of tennis history limit us to the professional era (ruling out players like Rod Laver and Roy Emerson), but since 1968 the most successful player in grand slam tournaments, based on win-loss ratio, has been Bjorn Borg, just ahead of Pete Sampras. Borg's Z-score is 3.15.

Baseball: The most successful of baseball's hitters has been Ty Cobb (Detroit 1907-28), with a career batting average of 0.366 and a Z-score of 3.6. Other famed heavy hitters, including Babe Ruth, fall a bit short of this level, partly because of the very high scoring norms of their day.

Golf: Based on major championships since 1930, the greatest of golfers has been Jack Nicklaus, with 18 majors and a Z-score of 3.5, ahead of Tom Watson, Arnold Palmer and Ben Hogan. Ultimately, Nicklaus's career may be eclipsed by Tiger Woods, but because Z-scores are based on whole careers, it is too early to be assigning Z-scores to Woods.

American football: Not really a major international sport but it is worth noting that the great quarterbacks, Steve Young and Joe Montana, achieved Z-scores of 3.1.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Bradman's score was 4.4. Bradman was not the Michael Jordan of cricket, he was much better than that.

Cheers, David

[Edited by David Michie on 02-28-2001 at 04:15 AM]

He was the greatest sportsman ever, he was almost twice as good as the next best. It is like if a golfer kept doing his round in 50 on a 72 par. He will be greatly missed by cricket lovers and people who dont like the sport.

For those that may be interested, a song was written a few years back by one of Australia's greatest signer/songwriters, Paul Kelly, called "Bradman", about the great man himself. I've put it up on my site's server, so you can download from: http://www.envisionous.com/music/bradman.zip if you like. Very, very cool song...

Cheers
    Dave

I'm just very sad. May the feelings of humility, sportsmanship and humanity he gave us live long in our souls.

yeah he was and always will remain the greatest. with an average of 99.94 who can touch him!!

maybe sachin tendulkar will come a little closer. he's close to touching 60. but nowhere near that wonderful average.

my deep respects to one and only Sir Don Bradman.

DJ_SFinKz
    If you don't know who he is DON'T POST!

---------------------------------------

Anyway,
    I wish to pay tribute to the greatest cricketer EVER!
    With an average of 99.94 (would be 100 but he got out for a duck in his last game) he was unbreakable.
    Wish him luck......up there! Where I come from (the holy one)

Sir Don was the best of the best. Nobody and I mean nobody was anywhere near to him and would come near to him.
    He was the living legend, an inspiration for all.
    Hats off for the great man of cricketing faternity.

Not only was he the best at cricket, he did so many other things for Australia.
    He was an instrumental part of all change in Australia. People looked up to him. Nelson Mandella's quote "Is The Don still alive?" proves this.

Not only did he play cricket, he also had part time jobs as a writer, a pianist and many other things. He was the ideal Australian. We'll miss him.

This is aybe from seattle, wa. He truly was the greatest
    batsman ever. I dont think there ever will be anyone
    better than him.

I should have made that 'pilgrimage' to Bowral when I had the chance. Alas...

Never been one before like him. Never will be. Wish he'd been around to complete another century...