A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Be a Business

I got an email from someone the other day asking if I had any tips on helping them drive customers to their Freelance Flash/Web design business. Now, aside from my sheer lack of qualifications to actually respond to something like that - I don't currently Freelance, it did get me thinking...

If you are going to start a business, then BE a Business.

I think that a lot of us think that our design skills are enough to convince customers to do business with us. In some cases that may be true, but I think that customers are looking for things beyond your design skills - are you a reliable and legal entity that they can trust to get the job done right - and yes, even sue if things go poorly? How do you project that image of credibility - not only in your ability to design sites, but in your ability to be trusted with a customers money and their business?

Creating your business with the right mindset and infrastructure from the beginning will help your customer feel comfortable in putting trust and money in you, and it will help protect you as well.

1. Be a Business - Get a Business LicenseRegister your Business Name with the local government and yes, get a Tax Number - this will help you buy supplies and materials (like Flash upgrades) tax free.

2. Pay Taxes on your income - how are you ever going to be Hillman Curtis if you are dodging your taxes? How will your business grow, add employees, etc. if you are running from the tax man. The last thing you need is for the IRS to contact your customer and ask them to send your money to them instead of you - I have seen it happen to a good friend of mine - he lost customers, lots of customers.

3. Set a Rate Schedule - publish your rates directly on your website (my opinion), and talk openly about what you charge with your customers - don't be ashamed about your rates - present them as a "fatacompli" (sp?) If you believe that you are worth it, then so will your customer. Confidence breeds confidence...

4. Have a Business Card - Print actual cards for your business with your business name, an address and phone number, and yes, your website.

5. Have a location - Give your busines an actual physical address - nothing wrong with a home office. And have a phone number that you answer - maybe put an answering machine that answers with your name and your business name. Give them a way to contact you 24 hours a day.

6. Use a Contract - Don't ever do business for money without a contract in place to protect you. Present your contract to your customer with pride - don't hedge around it - make it a no option way of doing business with you. If they aren't willing to sign a contract - you don't want their business.

7. Your Website - We all know the value of putting examples of your work on a site for customers to reference - but I see a lot of peeps hosting their business site on a free server with banners. Don't do that - if you are legit, then pay for your webspace.

War is futile: just drink beer phooka's Avatar
    GGW, a great post and I have printed it to have it like a motto...

regards and thx!

"just the beginning"

resolved Lucky me

I logged on hoping for a post on this very subject and what do you know. Sounds good will print a copy as a plan. Thank you.

Kyle M. Brown

Just wanted to say:

"Excellent Work". I have done many of those things - but need to refresh my memory once in a while in order to help me think about my work as a business, not just a guy playing in front of the computer

Something that you may want to add is a business plan ! Always good to have one, can give you many ideas - and some funding if you ever need it.
    [Edited by sryder on 02-12-2001 at 11:05 PM]

Definately agree with Sryder about the business plan!! Many think they don't need one, because "they know where they are going". Problem is... they don't know how to get there yet, and wait for the things to happen. You gotta MAKE these things happen!! Don't wait, or you'll be waiting forever!

Thanks for the AWESOME post GGW! Again... great thinking!
    KUDOS!

So far, I've printed out your "contract" thread and this one! Great resources!

--Neelixx

Beyond the Sea

Can't stress this one enough.

This was a great thread GGW!

be a business

imho more often than not, companies will not come to you ,you have to go to them, so dont just sit back and wait when your company's site is done,
    1, you must TARGET Companies. do your market research to find which field is best applied to your business.
    2, for a £2000 job its got to be worth sending a cd of your business. mini cd or otherwise.
    3, get a nice looking leaflet with loads of text b/s and pics made up and sent to your target (send 2), sometimes the purseholder likes to read in bed ,in the bathroom etc.
    4, follow up with a phone call, i wonder if you recieved our leaflet that we sent you last week? blah blah etc.
    5, once you have your foot in the door you are laughing.

FK Robot Wrangler

GGW, i just want to say that your posts are always so worthwhile to read. i'm never disappointed. thanks for all your help!