Hey guys, I don't really know where to post stuff like this, so if any moderators want to point me in the right direction, go ahead. I figure it should go here, cause it has to do with the "coolsites" i look at from here.

I've seen many sites lately where they use multiple background images however, I really dont' see a purpose in doing this other than to "show off" or a derivative thereof. I mean some, the ones that are good, are beautiful to look at. They're well constructed and such, but what does it add to their site? I mean, choose one that best describes your site. I feel that if you give the user an option to choose which one, it means you as a designer are unsure of your own choices.

I know one reason is to emulate desktop systems. But honestly, does a viewer really care what background they're viewing at a site? They're only going to be looking at the background for max 15 minutes? don't really know. The idea of different backgrounds for a computer screen WORKS because the person sees the screen for most of the time they're on their computer. These different "choices" are sucking up bandwith that is really wasted in my opinion.

Why not use this talent to create backgrounds and make a portfolio section, or some sort of special showcase for the work. That way the viewer can see the work by itself and appreciate it much more than if it was a simple background. Or take that skill that these designers have and take it to the next step. Incorporate these designs a little more closely into their whole site and make it WORK, make it enhance what they're trying to say.

Have I done that personally? I can't do those fancy background techno-images. I haven't really tried. But in my own designs I've tried to make every image count, as I as well as many people are on 56.6K modems.

I'd like to know what other people are thinking. Maybe it's just me. Maybe i'm not alone. I want to find out. I'm curious as to where the future of design is and where it's going. And this is just one of many things that I'd like to bring up in these forums. Thanks for your time. hope to hear from you all.

Eric