A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Stream vs. Event File sizes.. AAAHHH!!!!

Could someone explain to me why is it when I use a 3 second sound loop in Flash, the export file sizes differ when I choose Stream or Event? I'm trying to have my animations sync up with my music therefore I would use Stream. When I switch over to event, the file size is much smaller. I decided to test out my theory and created a blank file and imported a 200k wav file. In the publish settings box, I set both stream and event to 128k MP3 and had both of them convert stereo to mono.

Results?
    That 200k wav File looped twice as a stream comes up to be 118k swf file and only 50k when it is an event. What gives? Anyone got any solutions?

Ali

That sounds interesting i'll have to try that out.

RE

I just tried it out but i can't tell any differance at all

http://www.dimensionstudios.net

50 loops = 7 megs? from a 200k wav file?

As mentioned earlier, I'm still having problems with getting my sound files to stay relatively small. I thought Flash reuses looped sounds as to keep the size of the swf files small. Therefore I went overkill and tested out my theory again, took a 200k wav file, imported it into a blank flask movie, looped it 50 times (as a stream) and exported it as a RAW file, figuring it would keep the swf file close to 200k, well I was wrong. my file came out to 7.5 megs. Do I have a corupt Flash 4 or something? Reason I want stream as apposed to event is for synchronization reasons. If anyone can help, I'll email them my fla file and have them do the same tests I did. Oh, and when I do change the sound to an event, the swf file does become 200k even though it's looping 50 times. AAAAHHHH!!!!

It's actually very simple: Streamed sounds which are looped do not conserve any file size, it just becomes one long MP3 file. In order to conserve file size you must use Event sounds. Pretty funny they don't mention it in the manual anywhere, huh?

best!
    Squillo

How the heck do you keep your stuff synchronized then?

If that's the case then, how in the world are you supposed to keep your music and animations synchronized. That really bites. If I use event, and my animation is running on a slow machine, then the animation will end after the song has ended unless I use Streaming, which in this case will make big file sizes. How do people manage to keep their music and animations in synch while keeping file sizes down. A great example is http://www.xdude.com. I don't know how he does it but the sounds are amazing, the animations are outstanding and the file sizes are small. Any suggestions?

i've noticed the the same problem that you have had - namely that looping stream animations causes every loop to be stored as a part of a huge sound file. hopefully this will be better handled in flash 5. one possiblity is to break your animations into many scenes, and have a start and stop sound in each scene, and have a small clip loop throughout. this is also good because you can test any scene in your browser without having to view all the previous scenes simply by moving that scene to the front in the scene inspector(nothing is worse than getting sick of seeing your own flash animations!)hope this helps.
    jeremy