A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Application Question

As an experienced Web designer (HTML) im learning Flash due to request from clients for more visual and interactive web design, are there apps out that offer filters (effects) like photoshop does - ie. eyecandy, xenofex, av page etc...
    Im using flash 5 and just purchased Freehand 9.

What is the best app to create vector images and special effects for Flash or is there a way to create .swf in Photoshop

thanks

Old dog learning new tricks

Vector graphics are completely different than bitmaps. They use shapes and lines instead of pixels. So there aren't any filters to do a similar job to Photoshop's.
    All the effects are done by hand. There r some utilities to do text animations like Flax or Swish. CorelDraw 10 is a powerful vector program with a side program called RAVE which makes flash animations.
    Peace

Try Adobe Illustrator

Why don't you try Adobe Illustrator. Version 9.0 is available. U can import AI files in Flash.
    If I would like to prepare some good vector graphic, I'm always using Adobe Illustrator. I'm using AI long since before Flash...

One has to understand that even if you can add effects to you flash files just like PhotoShop, you are basically defeating the whole purpose of using flash (well, at least a major one). Flash was meant (among other things) to be faster because it uses vector graphics; even vector graphics can be big and slow is there is that much detail. If you want to see what I mean, try doing a really detailed bitmap trace, then look at the before and after file size! You can always import bitmaps into flash, if you have to have them, but ALL really great art through the ages has been been strongly influenced by the medium that was being used, and the technology (or lack there of) at the time. So I think that in todays digitally wired world, the real challenge is to harness the medium to do something original, working with it, not against it.

Old dog learning new tricks

So true my friend zacvin... so true.
    Peace

Thanks for the replies - I wish there were a site like this when I was learning html.

once again great site