A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Career advice

A few questions

1. i am new to web development/designing and an average designer with no professional designing courses.

2. is designing alone worth good to earn basic job earning supposing basic abilities one has.

3. is other technologies must to know like asp, jsp, cgi java even less in quantity, for designers.

4. how do you think the future of web and job trends, globally or usa or india, em from india.

question useful for all designers, worth discussing, i guess.

This post wont get the attention it deserve`s here, post it in the coffe lounge instead.

I dont use flash as a job so I cant answer of your questions im afraid!

I don't know dude, it's kind of like saying
    "I just got my first sitar and I'm not very good and I haven't written any songs, but I understand there's a lot of money to be made in the music industry. Is it possible to actually make money playing the sitar? To be a good sitar player is it also important to know how to play the tablah and also take vocal lessons? I also heard that musicians are being replaced by synthesizers and electronic karaoke machines. Knowing this, if I take the time to learn a few songs how can I be assured that I will still make loads of money when it appears that music is going out of style?
    Oh, by the way, I come from a country where 9 out of 10 people are musicians now"
    What do you want us to say? "Yes, you can make millions overnight with little or no effort. We're just too lazy to do so. By all means feel free to try and take away our jobs"
    Allow me to read your mind. I would say, just based on the little blurb you wrote that you are not very passionate about your new chosen career. You have entered this field based on the gaining idea that you can make a lot of money in this industry. More than likely there are one or more other fields in which you would be much happier, but your friends have told you that you're not very likely to become a millionaire in those fields and that you would be much happier if you were very rich. Therefore you are willing to sacrifice your own happiness based on the belief that once you are wealthy you will be able to impress some sexy person by showing them what a good provider you are and they will come to realize that you are not the cold hearted programmer you appear to be and are actually a warm, caring person whom they will immediately fall in love with. And you will make many children and your family will be very proud of you.

When I was a little boy, we lived way out in the country. We had a Citizen's Band (CB) Radio which was useful for communicating with people working out in the fields or for emergency situations like getting a flat tire out in the middle of nowhere. Then the song "Convoy" came out. Suddenly everybody ran out and bought CB Radios and before long they became virtually unusable as the airwaves got so clouded up with screaming kids and idiots misusing the airwaves by sending out false emergency and police messages. People bought books on how to learn to talk like a pathetic country yokel.
    Over time the fad wore off and gradually all the idiot's CBs began to gather dust and before too long those of us that had actually needed them in the first place were once again able to use them as useful tools.
    That is the way in which I perceive the industry right now. It is overrun with idiots who know little or nothing about the technology throwing billions and billions of dollars into investments that stand a 1 in 1000 shot of ever showing any earnings all because Bill Gates, who got into the business back when digital watches were the latest technology, became the richest man in the world, how? BY DOING EXACTLY WHAT HE BELIEVED IN.
    The irony of it all is that Microsoft is not the largest company. There are many companies that are far vaster. People perceive Microsoft as being one of the biggest companies because it is owned by the richest man. A cold hearted Nerd who cares nothing about anyone or anything except making mindless machines run and screwing the competition. And this is who we are all striving to become! I think it's a SICK society and that there are far better role models in this world than mathematicians. There are people who are loved and respected by millions rather than envied and detested.
    Now, Where do YOU want to go today?

resolved

*Thinks thenewrules should get a column in the local paper*

Originally posted by Covenent
    This post wont get the attention it deserve`s here, post it in the coffe lounge instead.

let me be off the topic, you named the tablah and music, i am a very old tabla player (20 yr exp) glad if you visit my site worldtabla.com, seems u too a musician, i guess flashers are musicians mostly, excellent ones,
    good luck
    do give me ur mail
    mine is
    vijaykhare@vsnl.com

Originally posted by Covenent

Let me say , you are wonderful person, so intelligent and philosphical.
    Trubute
    Vijay

moved to boardroom

Sorry I don't quite understand...could you explain?

Originally posted by thenewrules
    I don't know dude, it's kind of like saying
    "I just got my first sitar and I'm not very good and I haven't written any songs, but I understand there's a lot of money to be made in the music industry. Is it possible to actually make money playing the sitar? To be a good sitar player is it also important to know how to play the tablah and also take vocal lessons? I also heard that musicians are being replaced by synthesizers and electronic karaoke machines. Knowing this, if I take the time to learn a few songs how can I be assured that I will still make loads of money when it appears that music is going out of style?
    Oh, by the way, I come from a country where 9 out of 10 people are musicians now"
    What do you want us to say? "Yes, you can make millions overnight with little or no effort. We're just too lazy to do so. By all means feel free to try and take away our jobs"
    Allow me to read your mind. I would say, just based on the little blurb you wrote that you are not very passionate about your new chosen career. You have entered this field based on the gaining idea that you can make a lot of money in this industry. More than likely there are one or more other fields in which you would be much happier, but your friends have told you that you're not very likely to become a millionaire in those fields and that you would be much happier if you were very rich. Therefore you are willing to sacrifice your own happiness based on the belief that once you are wealthy you will be able to impress some sexy person by showing them what a good provider you are and they will come to realize that you are not the cold hearted programmer you appear to be and are actually a warm, caring person whom they will immediately fall in love with. And you will make many children and your family will be very proud of you.

I agree

Originally posted by vijay khare
    A few questions

1. i am new to web development/designing and an average designer with no professional designing courses.

2. is designing alone worth good to earn basic job earning supposing basic abilities one has.

3. is other technologies must to know like asp, jsp, cgi java even less in quantity, for designers.

4. how do you think the future of web and job trends, globally or usa or india, em from india.

question useful for all designers, worth discussing, i guess.

yes

Wow, that was a little harsh thenewrules. It makes me wonder what your motivation is when making such a blatant personal attack like this when he was just asking for a bit of advice. There is no need to be so condescending and nasty.

Originally posted by thenewrules
    Allow me to read your mind. I would say, just based on the little blurb you wrote that you are not very passionate about your new chosen career. You have entered this field based on the gaining idea that you can make a lot of money in this industry. More than likely there are one or more other fields in which you would be much happier, but your friends have told you that you're not very likely to become a millionaire in those fields and that you would be much happier if you were very rich.
    I disagree. It's very possible that this is something he is interested in but is worried that he doesn't have too much formal training. He's probably wondering if it's worth trying to make a go at having a career in it and if he'll make enough in the meantime whilst he's still learning...after all, we all need to be able to keep a roof over our heads and food in our bellies and if we can do that by doing something we enjoy then that's even better.

"By all means feel free to try and take away our jobs" I know you were being facetious, but if you're good at what you do then you shouldn't be worried that there won't be a job for you. If there are so many people in the field doing it for only the money then your passion and talent will stand out in the crowd even more.

You really need to relax a little more and not jump to conclusions or be on the attack so much. However, I don't want this to turn into some sort of arguement so I'll leave it at that.

I'm not sure how it is in India or USA, but I think things would be simalar everywhere. So from my experience (applying for many jobs and being rejected, occasionally hired ) I suggust two things:

- You have some kind of formal qualifications (people always seem to hire that person with the piece of paper, often even over other, better designers)

- That you know some kind of coding, especially backend - PHP, ASP, CGI it's all good. And HTML is a must.

That's just my two cents worth