dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Book recomendation for Flash and Actionscript

Book recomendation for Flash and Actionscript

trying to find a good book to teach me actionscript and a bit more than the basics of flash. I heard flash 5 magic isn't that great because the examples don't work and the code is all wrong and there is no support line.
    Anything Else??

cheers,
    morgan

morganulang@yahoo.com

Smile Funny you ask...

haha, thats funny, I just came here to post that very same question.

I am new to flash and new to programing in general but want to get started in action script. I'm looking for a good book that starts with the fundimentals and builds from there. I dont mind having to buy two books, one for the basic, and then one for some of the more advanced features and scripts.

Looking forward to responces.
    -Sigma

I've found the 'friends of ed' (www.friendsofed.com) books very useful - i've just got their 'foundation actionscript' which starts with the absolute basics & works up. I got the 'new masters of flash' before that, but some of the actionscripting went over my head.

FlashKit Joker

The book

This is a very useful book.

Flash 4 Webanimation F/X & Design

I don't know if there already is a book for Flash 5

FlashKit Joker

ISBN number

Sorry I forgot the ISBN number

ISBN 1576105555

Try Flash 5 Advanced, by Peachpit Press. It is a follow up to the visual quickpro guide series,and the author is Russell Chun. You can find the book on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

I went out and got the Flash 5 Advanced book and it does a good job of explaining stuff and is well layed out. It has a lot of practical applications of using the scripts that they teach, and the book should also work well for people who already know a bit of ActionScript and are looking for some added reference.