A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What should I learn after Flash, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, & Fireworks?

Hybrid View

Hello,

I'd like to become a better website designer, but don't know which program to learn. I'm halfway through a Sam's Teach Yourself Javascript in 24 Hours book. I'm wondering if I should finish, though, because it seems that I can copy and paste Javascripts from lots of places.

I've heard of so many programs and languages - Perl, CGI, Java, ASP, PHP, mySQL.

I'd like to learn how to do e-commerce and databases search capability. What should I learn?

Thanks,
    Risa

Busy doing nothing Boris the Frog's Avatar
    Learn whatever you find interesting and enjoy, otherwise it's not worth bothering.

Go to a book site and browse. Then order from your local library before buying anything!

I'm afraid I'm not the best person to give advice on e-commerce.

Have fun
    BTF

caithness massiv
    if you want to be a badass... learn perl

War is futile: just drink beer phooka's Avatar
    I've found myself that learning a language for the sake of it leads to disappointment and then progressive boredom. I think that you should think more in terms of "what do I wanna be / or do"?

If you wanna be more of a Data Base guru, go for ASP or simmilar. If you feel more like a "creative" than a webmaster (like myself), "visualize" your final product (IE a website) and then try to decide which tools will help you to achieve that vision with less effort/money.

Remember: Flash, ASP, PERL, Dreamweaver, Photoshop... are nothing but tools that can help you to reach an end. Decide the end, then the tool!

Regards,
    david

FlashKit Joker
    Try learning Maya or 3D Max. This wil keep you busy for a while. Or take some masterclasses in Graphic Design always usefull

Seeya

FK Slacker
    Director is a good one to learn...

K.

learn more photoshop n flash..hehehe .. if you really think you are perfect with these you can move onto 3D ... start with swift 3D..

as phooka says - go with ewhat you think you'll need. PHP and a fprm of ODBC database are good skills to have - which is why im about to start PHP!

What is ODBC database? Does this allow you to have a search feature on a site?

Risa

ODBC (Open Database Connectivity) Is used for accessing different database systems, it allows an application to connect to whatever database you are using. Go to control panel if you're in windows, and you should find it in there. If you want to do database stuff, Dreamweaver ultraDev is fairly easy to get your head around. Again, what phooka says is true, if you're more interested in design than development then just expand on that side of things. There's always somthing new to learn in Flash.
    Cheers.