A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Picture Exchange!

official system error
    both cool worx!
    did u two studied or just trained a lot?

Originally posted by Tlaloc
    hey cno....your swf wont work for me, all i see is a white box....

whut up wit that?
    It's a polar bear in a snowstorm!
    I love minimalist character design.

Actually, since I just wiped my server clean to post my site redesign, a lot of links from places like here are now broken. I should get around to re-posting it or fixing the link this weekend.

Originally posted by Tlaloc
    thanks akita. Your dewclaw project looks VERY nice. Whats your education backgound/experiance? And when is it coming out?
    Thanks for the compliments -- I've been working as a designer and cartoonist for about ten years. I started doing freelance spot illustration in college. Started migrating from print to web about three years ago.

The first chapter has been (shameless self-promotion ) posted, and the second is in final production. I'm hoping to have a new chapter about every two months as well as various tech specs, background info, downloads, etc. about once a month. This is something I've been ramping up for for a LONG time (three or four years).

Tlaloc, that character is REALLY unique looking! Have you animated him at all (I'm new to the pic. exchange though not to A&A..... though I'm just the one A, art... or in my case animation...... not one for anime really, tbhwy (to be honest with you).

Akita, really smooth, tight stuff!

Here are some recent character designs I've been sketching on:

Its for an animated project I'm working on, nothing unique, more in the way of something I can animate with rough sketches, violent sharp dark lines, nothing smoothed or cleaned up....... the end product is actually going to be all the original sketches, so it'll either be pencil test or pencil with ink and colored pencil in the end.... not computer/flash, but I'm using flash for some tests and stuff

Coffee Cat

Coffee Cat,

I like the style you're working with -- the second one especially. These look like they're going going to have a very "fluid" or organic feel to them (I'm under the impression that the "background" will be constantly moving along with the character?). I'm a big fan of "rough" pencil-test animation. Very cool.

Currently doing some pre-production work for a Sunguy animated web series -
    character model sheets, etc. And thought I'd share this with the group
    (especially since it looks so cool as a background on my new G4 )

Interestingly enough, this is the first animation I'm hoping to do entirely digitally -
    the drawing above was done entirely in Painter.

CNO,

That looks great! Love your "moon" and "rocket" characters -- sorry, I don't remember their names.

I'm extremely jealous about your new G4.

Thanks... I'm usually focused mainly on characters and character animation... the background and stuff being kind of a last thing for me cause I don't enjoy it nearly as much..... the backgrounds in this are going to be of a location in the begining and the ending as they'll be co workers..... but once the robbery starts and the action begins, etc..... the background will be more of a shifting swirling flashing sparking smearing void that will mainly be there to help the kinetics of the motion and scene and set the emotion.

I have a feature length script that I am rewriting, and if I ever start animating it these characters will be recast and slightly redesigned as two of the 5 main characters in that. My initial idea was to do the Bill Plympton thing where I animate the whole thing myself, but I animate on 2s not 4s, so its alot more drawing and multiple characters in every scene.... so, like many, it might never get off the ground.... but I'll try.

Excuse me for not reading back far enough to answer this myself.... is your dewclaw project a graphic novel or comic type peice or is it animated? The draws are so simple yet very detailed (without getting complicated or problematic is what I mean)..... really cool!

Alot of talent in here... A&A is the main room I go to now

CNO - REALLY???? GoD, I gotta get painter.... that looks like traditional character boards.... I'd never have guessed that was entirely done in the computer. I've never used painter though I've saw it in one of my art classes (back when I was in college) a few years ago.

Do you use flash mainly or do you use toonboom or anything else when animating?

Originally posted by Coffee Cat
    CNO - REALLY???? GoD, I gotta get painter.... that looks like traditional character boards.... I'd never have guessed that was entirely done in the computer. I've never used painter though I've saw it in one of my art classes (back when I was in college) a few years ago.

Do you use flash mainly or do you use toonboom or anything else when animating?
    I was surprised to see that I could get that quality - again I emphaisize my "ghetto" solution of taping a piece of paper over the wacom allowing me to freesketch a lot better (otherwise I would slip and slide all over the place).

I've tried to use Flash to sketch this way, but I like the fact that Painter actually looks and feels like a pencil - in other words, I can build up my lines from rough sketch to darker outlines (that would take a lot of tweaking in Flash). Still I'm slower working in the computer than on paper right now just because I'm getting adjusted to it - it's not a replacement for sketching on paper, just a different approach.

As far as animation goes I'll use whatever tools are available - I've employed programs like Toonz Ink & Paint and After Effects before for traditional animation, but as far as web animation, I do most of it in Flash (the animation, anyway). In the past I'd generally draw on paper, scan, trace in Illustrator or Flash, then compose in Flash. For this project I'm hoping to do the roughs right in Painter (they have a good onionskinning tool) so I can execute pencil tests right in Flash, then trace and compose the images in Flash and add effects, optimize, etc. Basically removing some of the manual labor of scanning multiple images, and having more leverage to tweak (being in a digital format).

I'm hoping to document the process on PF once I get more work together.

And thanks for the compliments, Akita (it's Moonman and Rocketman. ).

Originally posted by Coffee Cat
    My initial idea was to do the Bill Plympton thing
    That's who I was reminded of when I saw the pics you posted. I love his animation/style. Hope we get to see the your idea when its finished.

To answer your question, "dewclaw" is a graphic novel being spit out in "chapters." The animation is very limited and I use a storyboard format.

CNO -- I should have guessed!

Can all of you guys that read this thread please check this thread out?
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=216337

more art than animation

http://www.geocities.com/nochuss/index.html
    im not gonna try and post this here so as to save space on the board
    It's a whopper at 423 kb
    but I whipped it out for a cover
    contest at blammo
    this thread is on a definite up swing at the moment
    If i had a company I hire you all....
    [Edited by nochuss on 10-12-2001 at 09:55 AM]

Actually, CNO, I tried that paper thing over my wacom after reading your post and prefer it myself too. The tablet itself never really bothered me too much, maybe moreso when all i had was a graphire, but now with the 6x8 or whatever I never had any problem.... but the paper texture actually does help quite a bit just for the pencil on paper friction or something.

Coffee Cat

Something I did in painter today..

Colouring of Quist's drawing - here

Flash:

(adaptation of a friends drawing)

Mass update!
    [Edited by Lauradot on 10-12-2001 at 05:57 PM]

Hey! Quit spamming the boards.

Just kidding. Some great stuff there, Laura. It's really cool to see all sorts of experimentation coming out of Painter and what looks like Flash as well?

Anyhow, good stuff. And nice to see faces.

You conformists and your "facial features" Chu.

Smile Goofy cartoons

I'm working on a collection of really goofy cartoons for my site: here is a preview:

Goofy enough? I draw one of these every lunchtime and take it home, scan it, trace bitmap and color it in flash.

I also have a collection of flash animations at my site. http://kidzdom.com

Comments?

thats a really good system to be able to stick too...... I tried to do something similar.... draw one drawing, ANYTHING, no matter how big or small or simple or complex or color or black and white...... just do ONE drawing every dayd during the day (lunchtime for instance, as you mentioned).......

you know how well I stuck to it? Came up with the system four months ago and I've done 3 drawings.

I've gotten alot of other stuff done and drawn and animated in spurts outside of that system, of course, but still.

Also, thats a great way to shape and hone your creative skills when you have a designated time to draw something of a particular type (goofy, in this case). Many many artists I went to art school would only create art when inspiration hit them.... if you can set something up and train yourself to follow through with it and influence your inspiration actively, thats a BIG advantage in an industry that usually does come with deadlines, etc. once you're making money at it, freelance or fulltime.

Coffee Cat.