A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Printing and Cropping

Hello.

At work, we are trying to place a print button within 200 or so different pages, or 'slides' to print one or more designated frames.

I have read through the Macromedia Printing SDK and have quite successfully printed the frames I wanted, but I have a problem with the fact that some graphics, which by necessity are outside of the stage are still printing, when in portrait mode.

I understand from the documentation that the default size for printing is indeed the size of the stage, but this doesn't seem to be the case. I have tried using the '#b' label method, but still to no avail. Anyone have any ideas how this can be accomplished easily (bearing in mind I have to insert the same thing into 200+ pages!!)

Thanks in advance,

Pat

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

I don't know but would a mask over the stage area eliminate the problem? I have yet to use the print skd. Just a shoot in the dark at a work around. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

I have a feeling that a nasty work-around may be the only way. I suppose seeming the slides are all the same dimensions, there shouldn't be too much of a problem creating one movie clip with the print button and huge mask embedded and CTRL-SFT-V'ing an awful lot

That, is, of course, if I don't stumble across problems with it looking for the frames to print within the movie clip... I think a headache is coming on!

Everything you are saying seems to make sense. Indeed the stage should be the default print area.

The Printing sdk is a little buggy. The ad_banner wouldn't print in netscape 4.7 which has been solved now. could it be that Macromedia has let another bug through?

Try to chase this one up with macromedia I'll do the same and see what we can come up with.

Lightbulb

I've reread the SDK and I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. It may be your browser. If your are in Netscape, have you tried printing in IE? or the other way round.

Anyway if that doesn't work I sent a few emails off the other day about your question and one guy suggested this:

"try loading into on a higher level a big white square with a hole the shape of the stage size in the middle of it. It will go over all of the graphics outside of the stage and the white will look good on white paper."

Hope this helps. Good luck
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000010.swf" quality=high WIDTH=360 HEIGHT=40 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Thanks Eddie, yeah.
    This is the work-around mask which was considered earlier.

I'm not printing from web pages by the way - I'm using the Get URL rintAsBitmap: command, from within the movie itself.

Cheers for all your help )

Pat