A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: scrolling hell

hi, im trying to scroll a text box. got everything set up but for some reason when the movie clip loops back (using a goto) the number of "text.scroll" is reset?? so my text scroll maybe 1 line before snaping back in place..the looping back frame number is after the text box keyframe/creation so i'm stuck..any offers?

jolly

can you post the code?

-g

not realy, theres bits of it all over the place
    but this is it basically.
    1.define dynamic text box called celltext.
    2.define var called scrollme set to "none"
    3.each button up/down changes Scrollme to "up"/"down"
    4.check value of scrollme and do celltext.scroll=celltext.scroll+/-1
    5.movie clip loops back with goto.
    6.celltext.scroll somehow gets reset to 0 so text snaps back in place

the larger the amount of frames between buttons first frame and loopback the farther i can scroll..then it just snaps back

hope this helps

well, as far as i can tell, you have it right, you just need to figure out where scrollme is getting reset.
    start putting trace(); actions in various places in your code so you can see what it's doing and just work through it.

good luck, and let me know if i can do anything else.

-g

Talking

Try setting the variable on another timeline (like the root)rather than on a frame in your current time line that way when you loop back it won't reset the value. You could also just make sure that if you initialize the variable in frame 1 that when you loop back it only loops back to frame 2 or above. I always make a seperate movie clip for all of my variables that way the are all contained together and I just have to remember to send all of my values to the variables movieclip (i.e. _root.variables.scrollme=0)

Hope this helps,
    Good Luck!
    Dave

tried looping back after te text is defined frame but aint working still, strangely even tho text.scroll is being reset the viewable text dosn't change. only when i push a button dos it move the text back to text.scroll+1 ??