A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Converting WAV to SWF

I've tried to convert a wav file to swf on the macintosh and have been unsuccessfull. Any help would be greatly appriacated.

Given my understanding there should not be a problem with this. Maybe you could let me know a little more, how you have you tried, when you have tried what sort of messages did you get?

Scott

It compiles fine and runs fine. It creates a swf file with the yellow background it just doesn't play or possibly convert the wav file.

I don't think that is what he meant...sample code that created it would be nice. Otherwise, there is no real way to tell from your description what is wrong.

--Jesse

I'm just using the example function "void CreateSoundMovie (void)". It is an example in the sdk. The file is FExampleSound.cpp. I'm using CodeWarrior 6.

Perhaps I misunderstood. Question: You are trying to directly convert a Wav file to a SWF. OR: Are you trying to embed a Wav file 'into' a SWF. A subtle but important distinction.

I'm trying to covert a wav file to swf. The background doesn't matter but I believe you still need to have one.

Still, your explaination will get you nowhere. Explain EXACTLY what you are doing. A vague description is not going to be enough.

From what you have given, I can think of only one thing...the SWF File format only supports certain sound frequencies, certain compression mechanisms, etc. The MM SDK does not really differentiate between any of them, so if you give it incorrect info it doesn't give an error message, it just doesn't work. Read the docs and comments in the code to figure out which are supported.

--Jesse

You may also need to add a play sound tag (something like that) that's if the .wav file is being imported correctly. Also the .wav file needs to be PCM encoded and make it a simple type like 11025 Hz mono or something.

I am using everthing from the SDK. I am attempting to call a funtion from the FExample.h file. In the docs it says that this SDK was built for Visual C++. I am on a Mac using CodeWarrior. I am following the docs exactly and it doesn't work. It's all from the SDK. Nothing is my own, I'm not doing anything special except trying to get the examples to work.

If you are using the MM SDK example, your question has already been answered. Read all the responses to your post. Then read: http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=114859

--Jesse

Hi there
    purple__rose i have same problem as you but on Win2000 platform with VC++
    Have compiled sample SDK code with substitutuing sample AUDIO.WAV filename with filename from standard NT Utopia Sound scheme ("Utopia Restore Down.WAV")
    There is information about:WAVE_FORMAT_PCM,1 Channel,22050 Samples Per Second,8 Bits Per Sample
    And i have got swf that sonds like loud noise but not like original! U can check it here:
    http://dilukhin.chat.ru/FSDK/UTAC4C~1.WAV
    http://dilukhin.chat.ru/FSDK/FExampleSound.swf
    I think this SDK is pretty buggy because another Windows' WAV files simply cause sample program to crash:
    chimes.wav, chord.wav, notify.wav (u can find it at same http dir)
    Maybe i was too lame to deal with RIFF WAVE format and to find problem in SDK.. but what is SDK designed for?

Does anyone ever read the stuff that is posted?...the MM SDK doesn't do any converting to WAV files. Read the docs to see why you can't use these types automatically. The MM SDk is very limited and doesn't offer too many features. It is just a basic set of code for outputting SWF (and yes, it is buggy, but this isn't one of its bugs).

--Jesse

Thumbs down

Jesse thank you ...
    I've simply thought the SDK is a kit that can help me solve my problem quickly. U said it is limited, and it seems like that. It means, like SDK user, i have to work more with docs to make my Flash Wizard possible to import custom user sounds (and pictures, too) instead of apply ready-to-use code
    Anyway, of course it is great that is SWF format is open, otherwise this wizard would be impossible

swfsource.dll

Hi;
    can you send me the swfsource.dll, because when compiling it i had a lot of errors.
    thanks a lot.
    my email is ghasseninsat@yahoo.fr