A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Swift 3D tooooooo slowwwwwww

Does anyone know why Swift 3D is so slow. I have a pentII 400mhz, 256mbs ram, and this program is sooooooooo slowwwwwwwww to export. It takes forever and then freezes up. Is there a way around this to make it go faster? And when your finaly done, why is the file 250kb, AND ITS ONLY TOO LETTERS [BD] AND IT STILL DRAGS TO RENDER THIS DAMN THING.

Did i forget to tell you that i didnt even add animation one time and it still took forever. Ohhhhhh boy, talk about annoying. Well what a nice program, but slow.

Any help is appreciated,
    BumbinoGuy

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

Render speed is a function of model complexity. Results depend on both polygon count and camera angle. I've worked with a couple people having problems rendering extruded fonts and the difficulty appears to be with a specific camera angle. Changing the orientation of the text seems to cure some problems with hangs in the renderer.

Output file size depends on the type of shading you use. To start, try text with no bevels and simple outlines. Work your way up from there.

Have you tried the latest build (available from the customer web site)? Render times should be better.

If you still have problems, submit your model to E-Rain customer support. If there is a geniune problem, they need to know about it so it can be fixed.

good luck!

Hmmmmmmmmm

Well i just made it simple and it worked. But we are not looking for simple now are we? We want some advanced graphics and sadly this generic program cant give it to me. Thanks for your help, i really appreciated it.

BumbinoGuy

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

We share a common interest - I love complex and pushing the leading edge.

Worst case - I spent 8 hours rendering 12 frames of a rotating DNA model on a dual 600 Mhz PIII/Xeon. I'm used to rendering overnight or network rendering for video production.

Try the new build. If it's not better, then send your T3D file to Electric Rain so they can use it for testing new rendering algorithms.

I've already recommended they multi-thread the renderer for NT - just like MAX.

If you like, post the URL of your .T3D file and I'll test it on my machine this weekend.

Best of luck to you and keep pushing the edge of the envelope!

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    The real problem with swift is that the ravid engine has a hard time interpreting when a line is in front of another. Perhaps you have seen a model begin to render fast and then get a point where it hangs. That is what is going on. They are working hard on this in the next release. Should see some serious changes in the next edition. Regards, Bill

wish i could help you out... i've had the same problem.. can't get past frame 2... after many suggestions of different things to try.. nothing has worked.. and all i have is the swift file... still haven't been able to render, a image with 6500 polygons (not much, ravid "handles" 25-30k)... but i think my problem might be what the pope said about a line being in front of another, but there is nothing i can do about that, cause it's an animation, won't that always happen???

neways
    good luck.. (I need some too...)

Please specify which font you are trying to render in your 2 letter animation. I would like to try it on my machine.
    Thanks!

BumbinoGuy,

Hey! Sorry for the delay in getting to you. Most of the crew from Electric Rain were in NYC for Flash Forward 2000 and I got a little behind on the board here. I just wanted you to know tht it is possible you are having a problem similar to the one sticks described above and in his thread "swift doesn't like my file". I posted a correction to his problem in that thread.
    I don't know if you are using regular fonts or importing ai/eps files. If you can e-mail me the file I will take a look at it for you.