A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: STRATA3D and flash...

Hey guys, I had the wrong name for the program I was inquiring about. it's not specta3d, it's strata3d http://www.strata3d.com . Can these two be used together? Thanks for any info.

Everett

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

Hi Everett:

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community. Strata can be used to create 3D models that can be exported to the .3DS file format.

From there, you can import the .3DS file into a program such as Swift 3D and export the rendered model to .SWF.

I believe the Swift 3D trial version is currently down, but I've heard it should be up soon.

In the mean time, practice modeling and exporting with Strata and good luck with your 3D efforts.

P.S. For the benefit of all, we have a zero-tolerance policy for flaming, which includes calling someone 'stupid.' We all make mistakes and typos. Let's concentrate on helping one another. Thanks!

Post thanks...

thanks matrix (or is it, neo?) for the feedback. Strata does not have an export for the 3DS format from what I've seen. At least, it's not in option when saving/exporting the work. I have the buggy swift3d program and am using it right now, seems fine to me.

everett

p.s. it wasn't me who used the word "stupid," it was a new guy. And am still unable to understand where he was coming from. I'm writing this to say that I'm not sure if you were sticking up for me or warning me? FYI, it wasn't me.

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

Yes, I know you were not the one.

My commentary was for the benefit of all in the community - sorry if it appeared to be directed toward you personally. That was not the intention and you have my apology.

I was definitely sticking up for you.

Now, I've worked with people that use Strata who have told me that it imports/exports .3DS. Perhaps this is a 'feature' of the 'for free' download product?

Good luck to you!

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    Just to let you know the original post about using Strata said you could not use the dxf format in swift but you can convert you files from dxf to 3ds by using this little gem of a product http://www.stmuc.com/thbaier/ its free and works great. Another great thing about strata is the ablity to do polygon reduction before you import into swift this will make you files smaller and render faster. Also just a note the dxf format will model everything as one solid object. So if you need seperat colors for objects you will need to model them as seperate pieces and reasmeble in swift. Regards, Bill

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

Thanks much, oh great Pope!

thanks!!

thanks pope and matrix for your information. will definately give it a try monday when I'm back at the office. you guys are great.

everett