dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH: THE BOARDROOM IS NOT A PLACE FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS. YOU TECHNICAL QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED MORE QUICKLY BY POSTING THEM IN APPROPRIATE FORUMS. THERE ARE PEOPLE THERE SPECIFICALLY LOOKING FOR TECHNICAL QUESTIONS.

THE BOARDROOM IS A "DISCUSSION" AREA, FOR TOPICS OF INTEREST TO WEB DESIGN, FLASH, GRAPHIC DESIGN, ETC. IT IS NOT A PLACE FOR POSTING QUESTIONS OF A TECHNICAL NATURE, IE. "HOW DO I MAKE FLASH DO THIS?" OR "WHAT'S THE FS COMMAND?" ETC.

PLEASE THINK BEFORE POSTING, THE REASON WE HAVE SO MANY FORUMS HERE IS TO BETTER SERVE YOU AS MEMBERS. THEY ARE BROKEN DOWN INTO LOGICAL AREAS SO THAT YOU HAVE BETTER CHANCES OF GETTING AN ANSWER.

I DON'T ANSWER TECHNICAL QUESTIONS IN THE BOARDROOM, AND NEITHER DO JELVE OR PHOOKA. IF ANYTHING, WE MOVE THEM TO THE APPROPRIATE FORUM, AND THAT TAKES AWAY FROM THE TIME WE CAN SPEND HERE "DISCUSSING" VARIOUS TOPICS THAT ARE PRESENTED.

I APPRECIATE YOUR UNDERSTANDING IN ADVANCE.

Thanks,

mg33

eh..
    seriously though..
    I have three buttons and I placed them in the hit frame?

how do I make the movie clip tween?
    where is my data base?

the traveler
    hey can anyone tell me how to make a cool flash intro? i need some help.. could you please post ALL of the code FOR me and do all the work? thanks... appreciate it..

seriously mg33, i couldn't agree more.

hehe, that's nice

mg33

uppie, uppie.

thatz funny ... cheers for the flashkit team ..

prem

War is futile: just drink beer phooka's Avatar
    Wow Mg, what about your old policy of not using capital letters any more?

I would add stg to Mg33's post: if a member cannot be e-mailed, we cannot move his thread to the correct forum because the member would lose track of it. So what we do is to close the thread and ask the member (very politely of course! ) to post in the correct place...

regards, and Forza Barça!!!

Agreed phooka. I've been e-mailing people often, and I'm starting to take a different approach: leaving a message in the thread, closing it, no e-mail.

When they come back looking for replies in the thread, they'll see that it was not in the corrct place, and I would think they'd from then on post to the appropriate forum. Seems to be working.

mg33

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Maybe we should change the description . Havent been here much but all I can see (90%) is tech threads .

Hit the move thread button

I think it's down to less than 50% now . I just spent 45 minutes moving threads and emailing members.

Senior Moderator ®
    FK´s Banning Machine ™
    Good job Jim . One tip , edit the thread and check if the email notify is on . I dont email if its on . Hit and run .

Good advice Anders! I don't use email notify myself so I never thought of that. Cheers!

Hi.........I don't know if it would help.....

But what if you moved the physical location of the Boardroom to say, down around the Design Forum.....maybe it's close proximity to the Coffee Lounge makes it an easy target for newcomers...........

Plus they would have to scroll by all the Help forums and perhaps realize they exist, before they got to the Boardroom.

Just a thought..........

-pigghost-

[Edited by pigghost on 03-24-2001 at 11:51 AM]

FK Junkie
    Originally posted by pigghost
    .....what if you moved the physical location of the Boardroom to say, down around the Design Forum....
    Actually, thats not a bad idea . Other than the fact that it would be separating the "General Area" boards, which could be kind of confusing...

Either way, its definately worth a bit of discussion. So what do yé olde boardroom mods think about señor pig's idea?

Moving it might help. I don't know. When this forum was launched, we thought that we'd get a lot of spillover from the Coffee Lounge. Indeed, one of the main reasons for creating this forum was to have a place for more serious [mature(?)] discussion than CL. As it turns out, our biggest number of 'incorrect' post are ones that should have been posted in help boards.

I think if we can define this board a little more specifically on the 'All Forums' page and also in the announcement, we may be able to steer it where we want to. For the vast majority of members who post here looking for help, it's one of their first posts at FK. It's understandable that they would seek out help from the users of this board, even if it's not the right place.

Another idea would be to get more active here, ourselves, by starting more threads that fit the real description of the board. Hmmmm... I think I'll start a new thread....

I agree totally with what your saying.

I must admit that I have had enough of the coffee lounge - well as it is now anyway! It used to be a great place that the sort of convo that were supposed to have here was. But people seem to think that any forum that isnt the Lounge is for help.

POerhaps you could set the announcment to pop up automatically when people enter the thread?

Just an Idea!

Regards
    TheEnigma

I'm Buff
    why not only make it available to senior/executive members and above? that'll keep out the newbies and hopefully these intelligent people will know not to post techy questions in here... just an idea

Originally posted by hobbi
    why not only make it available to senior/executive members and above? that'll keep out the newbies and hopefully these intelligent people will know not to post techy questions in here... just an idea
    That still wont sort it - I think it will just make people more eager to ask the regulars here technical questions

Plus think how long that its taking newbies to reach 100+ posts nowadays, They just have to get chatting to SWiSHY and hey presto there FK Board Crew!

Nice idea though hobbi

Perhaps a person could "apply" to be involved in the Boardroom?
    Basically, a read-only to those not given clearance, but those that have applied would be given full read/write to the forum.

This would simply be a way of having each participant agree to the purpose and goal of the forum.

In my boardroom at work, it is a specific privilege to be included in a board meeting.

I would not limit the forum to only those with a certain number of posts, because we get MANY excellent designers/developers that are new to FK, but not to the business side of things. Aditionally, I rarely waste any of my work time in the Coffee Lounge, so I guess my post count won't get very high... and I've never chatted with Swishy!

Just a few "top of the head" thoughts!

Regards,

Jabez
    [Edited by JabezStone on 03-26-2001 at 12:17 PM]

Beyond the Sea

great thread

Needs to be back on top.

Read!
    Think!
    Post!
    Respect!