A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: screen res and pixelization

ok free latte if you help me!....

i'll send you my coupon for a free drink at a well known coffee chain if you the FIRST (i only have 1 coupon) to answer correctly my ridiculously easy question. sorry if this question has been gone over a billion times but i can't find the answer.

my desktop is set to 1600x1200, i've created this swf interface http://www.thevestibule.net/home2.html (not the same link as my sig below) for my personal site/flash studies at size 600x400 to accomodate 800x600 size and i'm publishing at 100% window so that it fills the browser for those visitors with higher screen res.

the movie seems to look good at higher resolutions, but the problem is that when i play it with my desktop set to 800x600 it looks unacceptably bad, much worse than other sites with comparable sized graphics. could someone take a look and tell me how i can make it look decent at 800x600? should i create it larger like 50% bigger and then size it smaller for playback?

some of the content when you click the buttons will be JPEGS of photographs and paintings, and i am concerned about them looking like dukey.

thankyou!
    [Edited by meowzer222 on 03-21-2001 at 05:07 PM]

You could try bringing the images into Flash at a larger size and shrinking them within Flash - this should give better quality.

Also, as you said, you could create the whole movie bigger and scale it down when publishing.

Both of these will increase the file size, but then if it's quality that you're after... Just make sure the overall filesize isn't huge.