A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: multiple swfs seem to lag when converting to a projector

Hi

I've set up a cd project so that it loads swfs on various levels - at certain points of the presentation I have about 6-8 swfs all on different levels overlapping and such.

It seems to me that when I load multiple swfs onto these levels that the whole presenatation seems to chug along and seem to lag - basically it doesn't run very smooth. Each of the swfs are at most 35k big.

Has anyone else encountered the same problem? and is there a cure?

thanks

Flash is a cpu hog. I doesn't matter how many processors that you have either, it only runs on one. It will cripple other applications if it is pulling too many cycles also.

My best advice is to test your movie while monitoring your processor. Then you should compensate for the target machine minimum requirements.

It is possible to tighten up sync by adding a silent streaming sound to each movieclip. This way the movie will skip frames to keep up with the sound. But your movies will now be larger in file size as well.

Flash, being vector graphics based, runs millions of calculations and requires constant cpu contact during animations. This is the tradeoff for not having to use bitmapped graphics all of the time.

The good news is that the average minimum machine is getting faster.