dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ADVENTURE GAME

Hey Mad_sci,

No you didn't mess up, you're right - you found me out

I'm doing good how are you? I'm reading with great interest your ongoing tutorial on tile-based games. Great job! Check Appendix 2 of the book, it was added after our little discussion about AI in Othello.

Levihenrique, you should definitely check out the book as you'll find the complete source code and I explain EVERY stage of the game. It's totally customisable too, so you can make it into style of adventure game you like.

JR (aka James Robertson)

AAAAAA dont give up the secret ha ha ha ha ha....yea the tutorial did you see my ongoin game based on that litle trick..

http://members.nbci.com/savco/games/dd/dod.swf

well its not the lastest update but its geting there..you know if the MP3 sound effects are smaller and better than wav ?

mad_Sci

* looks at book * ... * sniff * .. 12 some bucks for next day delivery...

* calls all the book stores and gets the last copy of the book in town * .. MWHAHAHHA.. ITS MINE!! MINE!! out of 10 book stores I got the last single book left reserved for me
    [Edited by tartarsause on 03-29-2001 at 02:55 PM]

Tartarsause I thinked that was impossible to save the game, or thinks like that,....

I want a lot to buy this book... but, here, in my contry it don't have for sale... I will have to buy from amazon...
    It will dificult a lot, beacuse the price is in dollar, with this, the final price of the book will be the double...

but I will try to....

Thankx a lot guys!

.. yes there is a way to save the players data so if they want to pick up from where they left off.. they can.

i find this thread very interesting since i'm trying to do just that - an adventure game with an inventory system. I have a primitive game engine which i'm debugging and revising right now. I have done some of the things that you talked about - like character movement and wall detection, even stage scrolling and zooming. I have an inventory system which i haven't tested in action, but i think it possible to implement. Here are the tough problems, which I only have vague ideas on how to figure out:

complex interactions - object to object interactions, tracking whether an object is in the inventory or on the stage, whether it can be picked up or not, whether the character needs to approach it, whether this particular interaction is permitted in this particular setting, ect..

switching locations - right now I don't think my code is flexible enough to do that, so some work is going to go into that

depth swaping - which would enable the character to move infront of and behind objects

cutscenes - the character picking up stuff and doing things (this might turn out to be more of an animation problem)

pathfinding - how does the character go around objects that stand in his way (this is not really necessary, but would be interesting to look at the subject)

I believe that actionscript can be used to create an adventure game, it's only a matter of a lot of work. Only thing that bothers me is if flash can handle it without slowing down to much. If anyone knows how PC adventure games work, it would be great to read about that.

Yeah! This is problems that I have...
    but, I putted in my head, that I will make the game only if I try...And Action Script, like others languages, is basicly logical raciocin(ehehhe, I don't know if this word is right... )
    And when I stack in some point of the game, I will come here and call for help...

but it will be good for us to be on contact, beacuse if I could'nt solve a problem you could done it...

And if someone have any ideas, please, tell us!

thankx a lot folks!

Check out "Flash 5 Cartoons and Games"

In Chapter 10, it covers all of these issues. Here are the section headings for that chapter - trust me, it will teach you all you need to know It takes you through the entire game step-by-step and explains how and why you do each part of the game.

Adding a walking character
    Displaying Isometric Graphics Using A Grid System
    Depth sorting and simple collision detection
    Tidying Up
    Depth Layers
    Complex Collisions
    We're Hopping Mad
    Bonus Objects
    Picking Up Objects
    Locations, Locations, Locations
    Moving Between Locations
    Saving Changes
    Defining New Locations
    River and Bridge Objects
    Defining Our Levels
    Difficulty Levels
    Putting it all Together

Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...109585/edesign

Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...9585/edesign0e

I trust in you JR!
    of course!
    I want a lot this book!
    but I from Brasil!
    it's very dificult to me to buy, beacuse of the monetary instability....
    I will try... Thankx a lot JR!

I will try to find this book in a brazilian online store book!

JR take a look at this:

http://www.submarino.com.br/imports_...ProdId=1585373

there is no one to buy...

but I'm still trying!

(pseudo 3D) flash adventure game

I'm actually creating a little - '80s games like - adventure game in Flash (4), it can be seen at this address:

http://members.tripod.it/multimedia_...world/game.htm

Some of the features GolqmoKu4e was talking about are actually there, like:

-(complex) interactions
    - switching locations
    - depth swapping
    - the character picking up stuff and doing things

As you can see, it's a (still) incomplete game cause it needs way too much time to be developed and carried on by one person.

If it can be of any help to anybody I'd be glad to share the "tecniques" I used in coding it.

I'd like to create a small development team to complete the game so if anybody is interested, I'm looking for a Flash 5 actionscript expert to deal with the game engine a 3D animator (no flash knowledge needed) for characters animation.

Thanks to you all for this very interesting thread

Man... that is one of the most impressive flash games I have seen... Beautiful graphics! I would be very willing to help you on your conquest... I could move it over to flash 5... I am a fairly accomplished programmer, i created Antz! in the FK arcade... go check it out if you want.

your game is one of a kind, the graphics are neat, much better than most of what i've seen. the sound is great too. Have you considered adding some kind of combat, shooting or maybe turn based?

Very nice game! Well done.

Booya Climber -
    Thanks a lot, I think I'll be able to use your help for my game. What I've to do now is to write down a developing document where all the variables are listed and descibed as well as the basic geometrics rules on which the game is based. I've written something similar, to help me to keep track of the code but it's in italian, I have to translate it in english

GolqmoKu4e -
    yes I've considered to add combat, and I'd like to make it real time, not turn based, I don't want it to be too boring ;-)
    Only, actionscript coding gives me headaches :-), I'd like to have somebody taking care of the code while I'd devote myself entirely to the graphics which is what I like the most.

Zopiclone -
    Thanks man

P.S. I've toggled the right click menu back on, as you guys can notice everything is vector graphics, I spend a lot of time to optimize the graphics as much as I could, the whole .swf is only 160 KB at the moment.

FYI

Cause of FTP problems, I've moved the game to this new address:

http://web.tiscalinet.it/milmai/cubeworld/game.htm

Cool game, are you going to replace the cube hero with a human like form...it will look nicer ?

Mad_sci

PS:GolqmoKu4e kolko si goliamo

Smile

ckeck this out guys
    http://www16.brinkster.com/henryp/game.html
    use "a" and "s" to zoom and the space bar to toggle the cursor. when it's a magnifying glass you can scroll.
    i worked out most things, but still need to
    work on location switching and interactions.

mad sci: to4no kolkoto trqbva

U should use Director to make RPG game.
    because RPG is a complex game.

http://members.home.com/ssantoso/moku.html
    (63KB)