A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: variables

Question

Can somebody give me a good explanation of variables.the methodology,terminology,etc.I need a basic understanding of programming 101.Maybe an example "Dummies Style". I find myself setting variables with these tutorials without a good understanding of whats going on. things happen but no understand.
    Teach me o great ones.

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

yeah somebody tell us how to use variables. uh.. oh.. dont pay attention to that man behind the curtain. The Great and Powerful Pope de Flash has Spoken. (Smoke, Fire and Thunder) The truth is If you want to learn code best to learn java script and youll have a better understanding of how it works. I my self come from a desingers angle so I've had to learn code the hard way. You should post this in the actionscript forum so you can get the pro's from dover to help you out. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

Here is a tip: The weather outside is a variable which is dynamic because it changes all the time, From the other hand the statement "I think so I am" is a variable which is given so its static. The question for you is not with language to use rather how to approach the problem. Usualy you have idea how the finished project will look like but you dont know the steps leading to that. Learn that. And remember there are more than one way to approach a problem.

I total agree with you. Programming is not learning a programming language, it's learning how can I make something.

When I programm a game, I don't write something on a paper, cause I know how I have to begin and how I have to do the things. Theres a concept in my brain and not a code.

I know, for beginners, coding is sometimes very hard, but after some time, you laught about this phase.

Start with some easy and small lessons, take it a bit forward each time you understand something new and
    !!! don't learn codes !!!,
    that's stupid, you have to know why you use this similar code.

I start programming with the C64, thats a long time. Designing was much easier, about three years to come to my level.

With all this .fla's out there it's easy to create something, but I say you, don't take this way only. The longer way is the better for you.

-------------------------------

With the variabels of Flash 4, you can make really great things, but without it you can make only what we have done with Flash 3, so take the time to really understand this thing.

<EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000019.swf" quality=high WIDTH=360 HEIGHT=40 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

I agree with the dont try and learn programing,n What I was saying is that the logic behind java script is similar (arguments) to action script. This way they could get a better understanding of it. I have never designed anything on paper (except for concept and storyboard) Its always a solution to the situation at hand. So you may code somthing one way today and solve the same type of problem a totaly different way the next day. But to understand how agruments work and the logic behind it I still stick to what I originaly said. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

but to do what you guys are saying I feel like i need to develop a base, a foundation to convey my ideas. Variable,functions,strings.operators.How can I fly if I do not know how to propel.Or even crawl.The ideas are there.Maybe it takes a while for the concepts to sink in.

Well here is an advice: first read the tutorial which comes with Flash. Read it. Learn. And most important experiment.Change something, a number, run the movie see what happens. Read tutorials. .

I recommand go and Buy a book on Flash 4
    There are about 8 out on the market.

As Far as learning a little script here and there to complete the at hand goal that is like learning a couple of scales or chords in music.You have to start out with the basics.But you will have to learn it all so that in time you are not limited in possibilities.

Even Mark the Creator of Flash Kit will tell you Buy Books and lots of them.

The Help Files That come with Flash have some really good info so read that.

So Try A book on Flash 4, JavaScript,and maybe even C just for fun.