dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: "An swf walks into bar, and the fla says"

"An swf walks into a bar, and the fla says"

Got a loading problem.

I have a series of swf's which load on each other. It involves a clock and in the centre of the clock some images which fade in and out "images.swf".

The clocks hands are in a seperate movie "hands.swf" on top of the images and run smoothly before the "images.swf" loads in, but as soon as "images.swf" loads in it slows down the "hands.swf" considerably.

Does anyone know why a movie on a different level is affected by another above or below it?

I've already gone through 2 monitors, through frustration the first one ended up 5 floors out of my window on someone's car bonnet, and you don't even want to know what I have done with the other.

Any help much appreciated.
    [Edited by gecko2 on 03-29-2001 at 10:34 AM]

Make sure your movies use the same frame rate. If you load one .swf into another, it is the original .swf's frame rate that will be used. There is no way to get around this -- all your loaded movies will use the same frame rate.

Actually, having read the question again I suspect it's more likely that it's just that you're asking Flash to do too much at once, and that's causing it to slow down. If you're using Alpha transparency, that's more than likely the reason, since this requires quite a lot of processing.

Yeah cheers Stickman,

I'm using Alpha on all the images, I see what you mean about the frame rate. I'm going to have to re-think the movie me-thinks?

Cheers again.

Alpha is probably the about the most demanding process Flash can do, except maybe for masking...you also need to watch out for gradients, since these also make Flash work hard.