dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: jpg images !

I would like to know if there is a way to remove the white background of a jpg picture In Flash . For some reason I am only able to save a picture with a transparent background if it is in gif format.

How can I remove white background in flash? Or how can I save a jpg image in photoshop with a transparent background?

The image has to be in jpg because of image sizes.

I hope someone can help

are you using jpg because gif gave you too many compression artifacts? jpg doesn't have an option for transparency, only gif and png formats do. you can use png if gif isn't working out for you. if you have photoshop 5.5 it's very simple. just use the save for web option and select png-8 or png-24 if you want a crisper image. then finally make sure that transparecy is also selected.

here's a good tutorial that you can follow:
    http://www.phong.com/tutorials/flash/transparent/

another option which is a bit more tedious, is breaking the image apart and removing the white areas manually. but who wants to do that?

hth.

FK Times - Editor in Chief
    My Good Little Birdie

Originally posted by 8minus8

another option which is a bit more tedious, is breaking the image apart and removing the white areas manually. but who wants to do that?
    ignore that option. I tried cutting out a human HEAD with hair and chin and everything in that method. Took me 3 hours and didn't even turn out all that well.

Definately go with the PNG! MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to do!