A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: The Flash 'look'

Heres my problem, I do a lot of animation with 3d and a lot of hand drawing and in both case I mesaure how good my animation/graphic is by how closly it looks to a real life object. With flash I have troubles because altho I could theoriticly make it picture perfect thats not what flash is for. So does anyone have sudgestions or tips on how to get the flash 'look' (yah know kinda cartoony)

(I can across this problem while trying to do a land scape. I have a very stunning 3d modeled of mountains and a lake, and I want to reproduce this effect in flash. I have tryed to just use that picture and 'trace bitmap' but that doesn't really help me much.)

So any general tip on what I should be doing to get the flash 'look'. How much realism to I have to put into my pictures.

FK Times - Editor in Chief
    My Good Little Birdie

The best thing to do would be to export the graphic as a jpg and import it into flash, although that will balloon the filsize...

The look

Ha! Sorry maybe I didn't make my post clear. I do know how to import graphics that I have already made via, 3d studio or photoshop. However all good flash sites the the flash 'look' you know what I mean? It like cartoony but the person still knows exactly what it is. I was looking for tip on how to achieve this look rather then have picture perfect realism.

My Good Little Birdie

Hi again!

Hmmm...I'm not sure exactly what you mean, do you have any example sites? The Flash 'Look' that I know is drawn in Flash with no bitmaps whatsoever, and just some good hard time spent drawing.

>S)

Sorry my question must be very confusing. Really all I was after was tips on how to draw in the vector flash syle where you have to (for the most) take the detail out of your image leaving a cartoony look. I am having trouble acheving this as I am alwasy trying to make everything look picture perfect.

My Good Little Birdie

ok now I get it

The best thign to do is practice. I would suggest getting a bitmap of a photograph of... turtle. Import it into Flash, and put it on its own in a layer. Then Lock that layer and create a new layer on top of it. Then get out your pen and line tools and start tracing the important lines and curves!

Practice makes perfect...