A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What are the advantages of using actionscripts?

Lightbulb

What are the advantages of doing an animation in actionscript form? Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers.
    Geoff
    [Edited by ghays on 04-05-2001 at 05:12 PM]

Decknician<BR>My weapon of choice ....<BR>the Turntable
    for a start it will dramatically reduce file sizes, and in turn download times, but if none of you are experts you may want to hire our resident actionscripter - Razormedia..

Is filesize reduct. true even if...

djswerve -- is filesize reduction significant even if there are very few repeated actions?
    Originally posted by djswerve
    for a start it will dramatically reduce file sizes, and in turn download times, but if none of you are experts you may want to hire our resident actionscripter - Razormedia..

For some parts (Tweenings) you can bring down the filesize a lot with Action Script, but it's a lot more work to build tweenings on this way.

That's the only real advantige on projects where you can do it without tweenings.

Speed is really not the issue, there are mostly no differences. (Sometimes it's not so smooth with AS, especially when the code is not perfect)

Hope this helps.

Decknician<BR>My weapon of choice ....<BR>the Turntable
    Originally posted by Subway
    For some parts (Tweenings) you can bring down the filesize a lot with Action Script, but it's a lot more work to build tweenings on this way.

That's the only real advantige on projects where you can do it without tweenings.

Speed is really not the issue, there are mostly no differences. (Sometimes it's not so smooth with AS, especially when the code is not perfect)

Hope this helps.

you can gain a whole lot more functionality with actionscript, its a bit like javascript, but as the man says its a lot of hard work. You need experience variables and properties to make a difference with it but to say there's no real advantage is not exactly true - i'd say you can do about 30% of what flash is capable of without it - more than enough to make decent animations and indeed fully functional sites, but with actionscript you can do things that are otherwise virtually impossible.

check out the scripting and backend, and Flash 5 Actionscripting forums. Also look at the actionscripting tutorials to gain a better picture of whats possible

Hope this helps

dave

Originally posted by djswerve
    ... you can gain a whole lot more functionality with actionscript, its a bit like javascript, but as the man says its a lot of hard work.
    Nope if you just change tweenings into action script tweenings.

But you are right, you can do a lot with action script, really a lot, just look at my debugger.

I hate actionscript

Originally posted by rugbystud
    I hate actionscript
    I know