A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Irritating - loading problems

Hi

This a desperate call for help.

I have a movie (about 325Kb) which contains a preloader (very simple flashing message), built using Flash 5. I have tested the movie using both a DSL and slow modem connection. On the slower connection, the movie took 45secs to load.

Acceptable?...I think so.

I'm receiving calls from all over the place that the movie doesn't finish loading period. People are seeing the flashing message and that's it. Some have stared for up to 7 mins and no movie. What is going here? Is there something about Flash movies that I need to consider?

All testing and complaints were done using IE5+

Thanks

nR

I plan to live forever or die trying
    I've found that if you've run the flashomovie of your harddrive (ctrl+enter in flash)
    the file loads a lot quicker.
    Try using other computers that haven't opened the flash file before.

Originally posted by Dark_Opal
    I've found that if you've run the flashomovie of your harddrive (ctrl+enter in flash)
    the file loads a lot quicker.
    Try using other computers that haven't opened the flash file before.
    The movie IS ACTUALLY ONLINE AND LIVE AS WE SPEAK. My tests and other people's complaints are based on their access to an existing domain. I've gone past the stage of testing in Flash.

Yes, I did try using a PC which never accessed the site before and well..with me the site works!

nR

resolved

Maybe you can try just preloading 70% of that 300kb and then start playing your movie. Flash will stream and continue to download the rest of the file.

In this manner, users can see your movie faster and it is actually still downloading the ending.

maybe you could include the url so that we can help test it as well.

loading problems

Originally posted by kunzzz
    Maybe you can try just preloading 70% of that 300kb and then start playing your movie. Flash will stream and continue to download the rest of the file.

In this manner, users can see your movie faster and it is actually still downloading the ending.

maybe you could include the url so that we can help test it as well.
    Thanks for the suggestion. When u say preload 70%, I understand this as follows:

Since I have some actionscript that checks the frame count (for Flash 4 compatibility), I take it that I should only check for 70% of that then start playing the movie? The rest of the movie will then download on it's own. Is this what u're saying?

The url is : http://www.coastalsystemsint.com

nR

It loaded up decent for me....but I'm cable.
    I know you said you were done in the testing stage but there were some problems I noticed.

First is the flash window size. My res is 1152 X 864 and your flash file only popped up as a 600 X 800. If you are settled on keeping that the only size, you should at least move the flash to the middle of the screen, not the top left. That was kind of annoying.

Second I noticed that the buttons on the left only work when the cursor is over the actuall letter. You should make a box over the text as the hit zone so it's not such a pain to click on the link.

The fullscreen is sweet, that's exacly what I'm trying to do with no success. Maybe I'll just steal your code.

Give me some advice at my thread, it has to do with the fullscreen option your site uses.
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=123160
    [Edited by calpomatt on 04-06-2001 at 06:00 AM]

Originally posted by calpomatt
    It loaded up decent for me....but I'm cable.
    I know you said you were done in the testing stage but there were some problems I noticed.

First is the flash window size. My res is 1152 X 864 and your flash file only popped up as a 600 X 800. If you are settled on keeping that the only size, you should at least move the flash to the middle of the screen, not the top left. That was kind of annoying.

Second I noticed that the buttons on the left only work when the cursor is over the actuall letter. You should make a box over the text as the hit zone so it's not such a pain to click on the link.

The fullscreen is sweet, that's exacly what I'm trying to do with no success. Maybe I'll just steal your code.

Give me some advice at my thread, it has to do with the fullscreen option your site uses.
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=123160
    [Edited by calpomatt on 04-06-2001 at 06:00 AM]
    Hi

Thanks for the comments. I guess I got taken up with the frills and forgot the basics! Anyway, how to get the full screen effect?....that was the easy part:

Since it's impossible to start a parent browser screen as a full screen using programming, I loaded a base page and using javascript, I loaded a child page as a full screen. The intro movie simply calls another movie when done so it replaces the contents of the child. That full screen is nice but users will either love or hate it. The parent page also serves to restore control to the user when they're finished with the site. If u'd like to have the Javascript to load full-screen, simply look at the source code for the parent (the one that says 'thank you for visiting').

nR