A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about that: An E. Jordan site I'm actually pretty stoked on.

http://www.01-la.com/

A new site created by Eric Jordan. I think it's great, it's cool because it uses common elements of his style, but in a bit of a different way than his other sites.

If you've happened to see my comments on some of his sites as of late, you know I've compared them all to being way too similiar, and way to "eric jordan-ish."

this one is cool though, I think it's because of the normal pictures and nothing of a background look like 2A or the lasik site.

go look.

mg33

PONY,

Sorry dont agree looks like any Eric Jordan site, quite boring and takes ages to download, commercially impractical. The only difference between this and his other sites is that he has not put one of those cool backgrounds on, but the elivator as a concept, come on give us a break hardly fekking original.

I'm getting quite fed up with these kind of flash sites they take too long to download and are causing the internet world to have a dislike to Flash because they see it as impractical, when if used right it can be.

Eric Jordan is so far up his own bum he can see his feet

Pete

the traveler
    hmm.. i disagree, mccormak.

i consider myself pretty tough on sites with minimal substance and maximum style, but this piece i think is pretty good.

i'm not sure why you think his head is up his arse. if you think his is, then you might as well go ahead and think everyone else that does work on or above his par is equally pretentious. i don't buy it. i run across more pomposity from folks who put together some crap work then from those who let the work speak for itself.

if it is *true* originality you want -- good luck -- let me know when you find it. design, like anything, is in constant derivation of itself.

i'm not even a fan of this guy per se, but i feel i still can't deny some props where it is due.

I disagree, as well

I was a bit shocked to see someone so adamantly aposed to this site. I thought it was very creative, fast paced, and the color scheme was quietely appealing. Of course, it is similar to 2advanced's style, but it should be, they created it, and it's difficult to stray to far away from your personal design tastes.

Not that your site is up for debate, but if someone is as strongly verbal as you were to a particular style or site, I tend to check out their site to see where they're coming from to get a better understanding of their view. If that is just the site you work for, than I'm sorry, but that site was incredibly boring, extremely simple, color scheme was dull, and the flash intro doesn't even load. I can truly understand now how you don't like it.

If Mccormack's site is what the internet world is looking for, than god help me.

Andrew

platonically undecided

I've seen a lot of experimental sites with good use of actionscript. This is another sample. Great design, very hip, funky, for the flash afficionado, this is eye candy, but for someone who's just looking...they might just say...what the ****--??? I'm an aspiring flash animator looking for guys like joe of joecartoons or the people at e-studios. There's a lot of designers who get big attention doing flashy actionscript stuff, I wish there are more flash users who shift their attention to web cartoons (which I think exerts more effort than actionscripting.)

look at you guys tear eric jordan apart. I dont understand why? - I thought the site was well done.
    Im not on some crap 56k modem so the site loaded fine for me...maybe you should invest in a higher connection...seeing as though you work on the web?
    Good site

The Phattest Bwoy at Flashkit
    i don't think everyone should be complaining about him not being original everytime...i don't see any of u being original.

why don't u do before saying

well

I am pretty tough on sites as well...and see this as a good one. But heres the real question - if an unknown designer had made this, would we like it?

-Jake

Re: I disagree, as well

Originally posted by afovar
    If Mccormack's site is what the internet world is looking for, than god help me.
    Won't quite go as far as you Andrew *LOL*

But I do agree about doing before saying, and I do love the dudes that put a site down so much without anything to compare with it themselves. His site even has "untitled document" on every page!!

Can you imagine the guys from 2A, or eStudios, or any of those other sites coming in here and telling everyone else how crap their site was? I somehow don't think so...

Cheers
    Dave

Hey people, sorry I only wanted to drive a little controversy, I will say though, ignore my site as that was my first flash effort done two years ago and I hate it, I never use it and I just have not got around to removing it. Don't get me wrong, Eric Jordans stuff is alright in its own way, but I don't think its exceptional. I think I am maybe coming from a different perspective than you, I am mainly a business man trying to produce Flash work which is commercially practical, this may mean losing some of the cool effects and design things that others wish to do but it means that the sites have a general appeal to the public, and can be used by people who are not Flash designers and who do not totally understand web sites.

I am not the best but my skills are not design based, I have done one site recently which is alright if you want to see it - http://www.hammonds-uk.com, which you have to take into consideration will be used by middle aged internet users.

My problem is that every day there is a new post saying how great Eric Jordan is and how good his work is, and I think its okay in its own right but its just not commercially practical.

Sorry to cause offense, I am a little controversial at times.
    McCormack

lol

Oh my god that cracked me up, Mccormack. If you go to his homepage now, you get this (I hit "homepage" instead of "reply" by accident):

A black screen with this text - "e-sume was crap so I'm doing a new one

go away"

I'm not sure you had to go that far, but you did make my Friday morning. Just do what a lot of people do, make a tiny commercial or a splash page that describes that you're making a new one.

Seeing as the Eric Jordan conversation is pretty much covered, I might as well compliment that hammonds site you made. It's smooth, clicks with the content, and clean. My only two cents would be to make the buttons more active i.e. rollover effects and have the sound load when the intro starts. Nice work.

Andrew

the traveler
    it can be "commercially practical" just perhaps not in the market that you deal with.. there's a style for everything, and a place for it somewhere. we don't have to like it, but somewhere, someone will and that is what makes it legit.

so mccormak, would you say that yugop's site is impractical also? or nosepilot? or praystation?

you guys are all nutz

and that's why I keep coming back.

This site proves that EJ is one of the Flash Masters of our time. How can you deny the smoothness and attention to detail in this site. This is top notch flashing. A lot of mistakes you see in Flash are from designers who don't know the size limits. They see something 2advacned studios does and they focus on only that one thing and usually make it huge and give it too much focus. If something needs to move, flash or rotate EJ makes it small and the right propotion. For example, those lilttle flashing dots in the upper right hand corner next to the page name (have to go into a section to see them). And on the upper left side is the rotating star. Neither are hard to do but using without abusing is what makes it cool.
    There are some EJ cliche's here but most surfers wont pick up on them. The rotating 3d star is one. The little white beads that follow the curve of the escalutor is another. Even the loading transistions are his style.

What hillarious though is he's in the DJ section. Go back and check it out.

[aa- your cubetheory site is pretty rad.I have bookmarked ]
    [Edited by Xerobot on 04-06-2001 at 01:06 PM]

AA, No mate I LOVE YUGO P's and Praystation but they are from a different perspective I think they are great. My point with Eric Jordans stuff is that it's quite obvious design, I think that futuristic Terminator style is what any new web designer would want to do.

When I first saw it I too thought it was good but the more I looked on the web the more I realised that it was nothing special, but that is my vew I am just not good at expressing it well.

AFOVAR - cheers dude, that Hammonds site was a lot of work, yet I did not have complete control I had people above me making decisions that I did not agree with but I had to suffer it. To be honest I love my new site and I think I may keep it like that forever.

Good luck dudes

McCormack

hmmm, i have to admit to liking this site

the rythm and smoothness of the transitions and blurs... mmm, just awesome stuff, eric jordan has really brought motion graphics to a new level here.

i am in agreement with MG33 when it comes to EJ's style. This site really works though, it's easily identifiable as his but seems appropriate for this... did anyone notice that his name is on the list of resident DJs?

there is never any point in knocking EJ as a designer, he is superb, people don't always like his style which is so particular but he is a brilliant flasher....

Originally posted by aa
    it can be "commercially practical" just perhaps not in the market that you deal with.. there's a style for everything, and a place for it somewhere. we don't have to like it, but somewhere, someone will and that is what makes it legit.
    as meatloaf once said "you took the words right out of my mouth"

This site suits the target audience perfectly.
    some tidy work indeed.

this was talked about before when the lasik site came out, and most people, even fans of EJ, agreed that his style probably wasn't suitable for that company (take a look at their off-line promo stuff if you doubt it).

for this club he seems to have made a special effort, maqybe the fact that he DJs there helped

Someone finally brought up the most important point of web design - the target audience. And Eric Jordan's style is obviously towards a specific target audience, and let's face it, the clients who choose him to design their sites are paying for that particular style so are obviously aiming for a specific target audience.

The original site in this thread, http://www.01-la.com/, is the perfect site to use EJ's style - far from "commercially impractical" as earlier raised. The Lasik site may not be the most obvious for his type of site, but maybe their marketing people wante to target a specific market in this case - the younger, web-savy crowd. Eg. Those that look at a computer very day and maybe have eye problems that can be fixed by Lasik??? Remember it's not always the most obvious marketing perspective that only works.

Anyway, it's obvious EJ's style is catering for a specific audience - very well - and that he has plenty of clients who love his style. Good luck to him, and let the EJ bashjers do as well before going on to much. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but it should be a well balanced, constructive one when discussing a very successful company.

Cheers
    Dave

gag, not original gave me a headache

Too hyper !!!!

FK Robot Wrangler

i really like this site. the intro was fabulous and very organized... cinematic, even. i'd like to see him do something that i would never expect him to do, though, instead of seing the same elements all the time. still, a great site!