A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Still can't play video!

I am trying to play a Quicktime movie using flash 4 as the interface. It has been suggested that I try a program like vid2flash to convert my Quicktime to an .swf. When I did this, I could not get my audio to sync with the .bmp frames. Not even close.

Does anyone out there have a better solution for converting the video to flash so that it plays in sync with the audio? Or can anyone give me an Action Script of some kind that will open Quicktime, playback the movie and navigate back to the flash menu?

This is EXTREMELY URGENT!! The client is up my backside about taking delivery of this project. The project is an interactive CD-ROM that plays back various elements of this client's media campaign.

Thank you in advance for the replies!

Try this

File / Import / Quick Time Movie (*.mov)
    then just select the movie.

Thanks J.D.

I'll give this a try....

Re: Thanks J.D.

Though QuickTime cannot directly be imported into your .swf you may still find some utility in this method.

Using QuickTime movies

If you have QuickTime 4 or later installed on your system, you can import a QuickTime movie into Flash in order to modify the movie. However, in order to display the QuickTime movie, you must export it in QuickTime format. You cannot display a QuickTime movie in SWF format. For more information on publishing your Flash file as a QuickTime movie, see Publishing QuickTime 4 movies.

You can scale, rotate, and animate a QuickTime movie in Flash, and you can play and set the directory path of the movie in the library. However, you cannot tween QuickTime movie content in Flash. You can apply any of the actions listed in the Basic Actions category in the Actions panel to an imported QuickTime movie.

When you import a QuickTime movie, only the first frame of the movie is displayed. You must add frames to the imported movie's Timeline in order to view additional frames in the movie in Flash. A QuickTime movie imported into Flash does not become part of the Flash file. Instead, Flash maintains a pointer to the source file.

To preview a QuickTime movie:

1 Add the number of frames to the Timeline that correspond to the length of the QuickTime movie you want to play.
    2 Choose Control > Play.

Note: You cannot preview QuickTime movie content using the Control > Test Movie command.

To set the directory path of a QuickTime movie file:

1 Choose Window > Library and select the QuickTime movie you want to edit.
    2 In the Options menu in the upper right corner of the Library window, choose Properties and click Set Path in the Video Properties dialog box.

(This is from the "Flash Help" directory) You cannot publish this as a single .exe file but as both a .swf file and a .mov file that the .swf file points to.