A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] Will work for answer

This problem has been plagued me on over three projects so I would be very appreciative to anyone who has an answer. OK Here is the situation:
    I have a mc, Gallery, which loads into a movie instance "dummy" on my main timeline, Homepage. In Gallery there is a tell target Portfolio aka "fool" which plays on the release of a button in Gallery. Gallery works perfectly when I play it but when it loads into "dummy" on Homepage the buttons do nothing. I know this must have to do with how it is referenced but I cant figure out how it should be.
    Right now I have (the button on Gallery which plays Portfolio)
    On (Release)
    Begin Tell Target ("/fool")
    Play
    End Tell Target
    End On
    I've tried Begin Tell Target ("dummy/fool") but it doesn't work.

Argh!!!!

I'm gonna trying to help you, but i'm not english and have some problems to understand what you are trying.

Where is "fool"? Inside "gallery" or in the main timeline? or is it also in "dummy"?

If "fool" is also inside "dummy" try this:

Begin Tell Target ("../fool")

If "fool" is in the main timeline try this:

Begin Tell Target (../../fool")

You should use "dot dot" for going to the previous timeline,

I'm sorry for my english, i hope this thread is usefull for u

"fool" is located inside of gallery. I loaded gallery.swf into the target "dummy" (instead of a level) which is located on the Homepage. So the gallery.swf works fine. It is just when it is loaded into the "dummy" target on Homepage that it stops working.

OK I just tried loading Gallery onto Level1 on Homepage instead of the mc instance "fool" and it worked fine. I don't get what the difference is.

Try this:

Begin Tell Target ("_level0/dummy/fool")

Hope it works

what the difference is. [/QUOTE]

I think that if you loads gallery.swf onto level1, "dummy" stands on. But if u loads gallery.swf into target "dummy", then "dummy" is "gallery".

still doesnt work

the loaded movie goes into an instance target rather than a level. In such a case it takes on the properties of the target movie clip ie name size placement etc..
    I think this has something to do with it.

what the difference is

I agree but I cant figure out to phrase it so it reads correct. I really want to load it into "dummy" as opposed to a level just because it of consistency with my site.

i've been trying the same situation you have.

The swf loaded takes the properties of "dummy" and the button works, but the "x" and "y" change and i cant know why.

i'm sorry, maybe i cant help you

woo hoo

wait you can get the swf to load into the target with a tell target to work inside it? How?
    The reason why the x and y are different is because it loads it's top left corner into the center point of the target.

grrr... i hate to read long threads (that's why i'm answering only on those that have 0 replay (i think that those ppl deserve help too))

anyways, as i understand, you have tell target problem... so you want to load your movie into some other movie, so you can position it... which is quite stupid to use levels for it... anyways, if your "dummy" movie is on main timeline... you will use:

LoadMovie("movie.swf","/dummy")

now all depends how your .swf that you are loading into some movie clip looks like (instances and movie structure)... to communicate directly with that .swf like it's opened alone in browser you will use

Tell Target ("/dummy")

this will enable you to communicate with "root" of the loaded .swf

but with rest of movie structure, i cannot help you because i don't quite understnd what is movie structure... but, you can EASILY get movie structure... open your movie that should load another movie into that dummy movie clip... then ctrl + enter ... load your movie into that target, and press ctrl + l ... and there it is, whole movie structure, once you have it, use tell target to location that you want...

hope it helps...