A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: flash 5 projector crashes in windows

I have a 2.5meg flash file used as a mulitmedia presentation and it crashes but only sometimes it's done it twice on me. I get this program has preformed an illigal opperation and will be shut down, when I click the details button the message reads flash caused a stack dump with a buch of numbers ???

any sujestions on preventing this. Has anyone had this happen to them how do you fix this is this a windows problem or a projector problem. can it be solved by using juggler instead of the macromedia projector???

any sugestions comments help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

No Jugglor won't help...

What are the specs on the machine?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by johnie
    [B]No Jugglor won't help...

What are the specs on the machine?
    It's a pIII with 64meg sdram running windows 98 the other is a p II running windows nt 4.0 with 64mram and both have a 8meg vid card. The first is a laptop not that should make a difference
    thanks

Yes, it does... The Flash 5 format will crash less powerful machines and play slower on less powerful machines.

Also what is the FPS setting? The highest achievable rate with the a 1.3 G AMD Machine is 65 FPS With a P III 900 Mhz its only 53 FPS.

Since the machines you are running it on seem to be powerful enough for a standard animation with a normal FPS between 15-18 FPS I would suggest remaking the EXE. Either republish in Flash as a projector or if you used a third party tool then load the SWF into the FLashPla.exe and select the make projector option from the file menu.

The final advice is to split the file into smaller files and use the load movie action and Unload Movie Actions.

Creating a file for desktop delivery often makes a file that is much larger than a Web-delivered SWF. It may work, but users often have problems exporting a projector or SWF file that is over a few megabytes in size. The same files can also have problems during playback, such as crashes, inconsistent playback, slow playback, file corruption and unpredictable behavior in logical statements. In situations where large multimedia projects are needed, it's best to use a program that was built for this purpose, such as Director.

A little known fact - a Flash movie can have up to 16000 frames. Exceeding that limit will cause the movie playback to stop. While this limit is rarely reached by most developers, it's possible to have movies that are this long. If a movie is required to have more than this many frames, it would be best to create multiple movies with less than 16000 frames each, and link them together with a method such as Load Movie.

The number 16000 is a limit to other things in Flash as well. It is the maximum amount of layers that Flash can export and the maximum amount of loaded movies that Flash can support. In addition, the maximum amount of symbol instances allowed in a Flash movie is also 16000. Combining these limits together would create greater risks, as using them together would most likely create other problems. Keep in mind that Flash and the Flash Player are optimized for normal circumstances, and testing the extreme limits of Flash can cause memory and other operating system issues.