A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Menu woes

Ok, I've done mneu's in Flash before, but I want to be able to do it in Swish because it's supposed to be *so much easier*! @?*&$@ I've read many of the other posts and a couple of tutorials, but I'm still having probs. (Spent a couple of wasted evenings on it.)

I have a simple html menu that I want to build using load movie actions. But, I can't even get one of the stupid movies to work correctly before I create the movie which will load the others. (Yes, I know, I'M the stupid one, not the program.)

Here's what I'm doing. I have the text show in frame 0, then a stop action in frame 1. There's an on roll-over action to Goto frame 2 where it plays the text effect. The frame after the effect, I have another stop action. I have an on roll-out action to go to frame 0 and an on press action going to a url. When I play it, it just loops the effect over and over and will never go to the url. It will perform the on roll-out ok, though.

What I would like it to do is play the text effect ONCE and STOP (that's why I put the stop action after it), and, of course, link to the url. (It doesn't even show the "there's a link here" cursor.) Here's one of the ones I'm working on: http:\\www.rsn.org\mm.swf .

Thanks for any help.

- Hawk

d'oh

Ok, so it's a little late, and I can't spell or use the correct hash marks. I wanted to point out that it loops continually on a mouseoever, and that's what I'm trying to avoid. It seems as though that's what preventing the goto url. Thanks again.

Ok, what time IS it??

Why are the times off by an hour? I'm in EST, and it's not THAT late. Ok, I'll stop now... :-)

What's the temperature dude?
    From what i saw, when my mouse move over the link it loops the effect and when the mouse move out of the link it stop...hmm i think u forget a 'stop' somewhere which cause this loop, or did u forget to unchecked the 'loop movie' option when u export? its in the export tab. There should be 3 actions on this link itself, rollover, rollout, and onrelease, you got that right?

i think i posted this alternative before but you can try to put anything(same word/winding/dingbat) behind the text "mitch's message" and put the on press action on that! Just make sure you use the same color font as the background. This way your text can keep on looping and you can always push the button

-G$-

almost there

Thanks Smurf, that did the trick for the link, and if worse comes to worse, that'll have to do for all of the others. But, I still have the eternal loop going on. And, when I export, looping is turned off just as "loop preview animation" is.

Zero, I had the three actions, rollover, rollout and onpress, but still no luck, even with a stop action on the last frame. It's like that stop action doesn't do anything. I can put a stop action in with the text, but it stops the effect and I don't see where I can specify in which frame to stop it like I can by inserting the stop action into the scene. I've reposted the file. Oh, and the source file has been up there, too. rsn.org/mm.swi . I appreciate the help.

:::sings::: "So close, but so far away..."
    Hall & Oates anyone??

-Hawk

I've had this problem before and found that the rollover was going to the wrong scene. When working with many scenes and many movies and copying, well check to be sure your going to the right frame and right scene on your roll-over. I also always start on one of the dark frames just to keep things clearer. Doesn't really seem to make a lot of difference how many frames there are overall.
    This is a menu sys I'm working on now.
    http://www.cvwebs.com/western/index.html