A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: HELP!-Flash 5 Use On CD Rom-HELP!

Thumbs up

I'm finishing a HUGE CD-ROM (Projector) I have what would normally be two hours worth of final tweaking left, But my PC is too weak to handle the now inflated fla file (192 megs!) My client decided to add 8 20 second clips LAST, causing much of the file inflation. Should I have segmented my movies out and linked them? If so whats the best way to do this? Or is there a reasonalbly priced computer out there that will handle larger movies. (I have a Pent III 550 w/256 megs of ram.)

Please help a bald brother out!

Beyond the Sea

wow!

that's a big file! Is it just flash that is having the problems or the CD burning app? When working with files and projects of that size, you should probably look into Director. It's much more robust and works well with any size project.

As for your problem. How are you presenting this? In a browser or as a standalone projector? If you're doing it in an HTML environment, I would say break the thing out into sections and load them into one central movie as needed. If it's a projector, I'm not sure what the best route would be. You might post this in the standalone forum, if you haven't already...

Individual SWFs

I would save them as individual swfs and then make sure they're preloaded before they can be called by your base swf. I also agree with the previous post that if you're going to do this more often you should look into director as it's designed to do exactly what you're doing.

Aaron

Re: wow!

Originally posted by Kraken
    that's a big file! Is it just flash that is having the problems or the CD burning app? When working with files and projects of that size, you should probably look into Director. It's much more robust and works well with any size project.

As for your problem. How are you presenting this? In a browser or as a standalone projector? If you're doing it in an HTML environment, I would say break the thing out into sections and load them into one central movie as needed. If it's a projector, I'm not sure what the best route would be. You might post this in the standalone forum, if you haven't already...
    Hey guys thanks for the response, It is a Standalone and I think I've figured a way to make this thing work. I know Director is the standard for bigger CD ROMs (especially with video) but I guess I'm just to hardcore into flash (and to lazy to learn director). It turns out that I can link this video in seamlessly with small SWF flash files created with swideo, although I will not know for sure until the thing is done, I'll post the results. Thanks again!

Bald Man Out

Beyond the Sea

sounds interesting!

please do tell us how it turns out

Smile Re: sounds interesting!

Originally posted by Kraken
    please do tell us how it turns out
    It worked great! The keys were Swideo and Juggler. I was able to put a small medical library complete with images, soundtracks and video into a juggled exec file only 15 megs.

I did use some Load Movie actionscpt, even on larger 3-5 meg files, but there is no hiccup or CPU hogging, thanks to Juggler's opt and comp features.

Score Flash:1 Director:0

Bald Man Out