Inspired by someone's post in another thread of mine, I decided to give this question it's own individual thread. It was mentioned that everyone's a web designer nowadays; from college kids with too much time on their hands to the client himself who insists they can do it on their own.

So, what will become of us professionals, and for those in college or thinking about changing jobs, is it a good idea to invest in a future as a web designer?

With broadband becoming a standard in people's homes, it is assumed that web technology will only get more interactive. This is almost a given for sure but who will be using this technology to build web sites? Will it still be the designer or will these programs become so easy to use that anyone with half a brain will be able to make a fully functional and professional-looking site?

Many web designers love their jobs because of the great technology they get to use. Half the time it seems more like fun than work. Unfortunately, it is this "fun factor" that brings in too much competition. Nineteen-year-old kids without a college degree are taking to Flash because it's fun to use and in addition, are taking away business from adult professionals who have to support themselves, have to support families. Is this right?

Is this trend of the amateur web designer going to continue or will technology develop so rapidly that only the professinoals will be able to keep up? You know what I mean by professionals, don't you? The ones trying to EARN A LIVING.

A year ago, web designing looked like a great business to get into but there are so many dark clouds on the horizon now that I'm not so sure this is true anymore.

What do the rest of you think?

[Edited by Gotha on 04-12-2001 at 04:44 PM]