A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What's A Great Book On Design?

I want to learn about color theory, design and all that stuff for the web. Can someone tell me of a really good book on this subject?

Lynda Weinman's book "Designing Web Graphics" is a good place to start. Of course, it covers web graphic issues (such as compression and such), not just color theory. None the less, there is ton's of design information. She does a good job of covering both for beginner to intermediate users, or those that just want to get back in shape.

The End of Print -- David Carson
    The New Internet Design Project > Reloaded --universe
    Design Culture Now
    Designing with two colors
    Stop Stealing Sheep
    Paul Rand -- A Designers Art

school -- not desktop publishing
    else = Linda

david seigel

one of my favorites is David Seigel's creating killer websites. The title may sound a little corny, but its a great book. Its mostly HTML design. Most of the conglomorate bookstores (borders, barnes& noble) have all the good ones. Its fun to just take a pad and paper, sit there in the big comfy chairs and just write down a whole bunch of notes.

I would suggest you go to your local libary, find the book relating to art and design. That's how I got started.

Lou C. Fur

There are also boatloads of resources on the web..

projectcool.com
    webpagesthatsuck.com (to learn what not to do - this site's worth seeing just for laughs if nothing else)
    htmlgoodies.earthweb.com
    gettingstarted.net
    webdesign.about.com
    killersites.com
    turtleshell.com

A lot of the stuff that you can find in a book you can find online as well. Many of these links have links to more stuff, too. Colour theory, effective layouts, graphics resources and optimization - it's all there. I've found it an inexpensive way to get the information I need.

Happy surfing..

regards,

Tyke

A gift from my mom

LOL...I got "Web Pages that Suck" (the book)for my birthday last year from my cheep a*s mother! Not bad...It gave some good tips on how not to anoy users...but unless you get it as a gift, just go and read it at a book store.

Lou C. Fur

the traveler
    anything not by lynda weinman, in my opinion.

What are some books writen by lynda weinman? (just so I can avoid them )

Lou C. Fur

Re: A gift from my mom

Originally posted by Lou C. Fur
    LOL...I got "Web Pages that Suck" (the book)for my birthday last year from my cheep a*s mother...
    Just wait till your mother hears you said these things about her. Of course, if you were to provide me with some people, some people who need sites done, well...maybe we could just sweep this under the rug.

You give me what I want and Lou C. Fur's mother continues to think that her son's a saint. Whatta ya say Lou? Do we have a deal?