A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: New to Flash 4......Help creating a slide show

Hello everyone.

I recently purchased Flash 4 to work on a
    personal project that didn't work in another
    program.

I would like to create a slide show which shows my honeymoon pictures. I also want to give the user the ability to move forward to the next picture and move back to the previous picture. I would like to make a nice introduction and then show the first picture and let the user take control of viewing the pictures. Since I am new to Flash, I am a little overwhelmed by the many features that Flash has to offer.

I have a total of 94 jpeg pictures and would like to add a Next Picture and a Previous Picture buttons. This is not that complicated of project. I would like to get started soon without going over tons of tutorials. I am in kind of a rush to get this simple project completed.

If anyone can help, it would be eternally grateful.

Thank you,

- Alex Erazo
    alexe@home.com

HELP>>>ACTIONSCRIPT DICTIONARY

Here is one way it might be done:
    (it could probably be done differently with programming)

You could have your movie play and end up at a new scene in which each frame has a picture and a next and previous button.

On Frame one place a stop action(right-click the frame to bring up its properties and select the action tab, click the + and select stop)

Place your next and previous button symbols (the tutorial with flash will describe how to make simple buttons) where you would like them on the screen.

Right-click on the "next button". Choose properties, action tab, +, GoTo,next frame. DO the same for the "previous button" only select go to previous. (on Frame one you can either remove the previous button or have it Go To, Frame,Last Frame #).

Select frame one and hit Ctrl-Alt-C (this copies frames of animations, one in this case). Select frame two and hit Ctrl-Alt-V (This pastes frames of animation.)Once you have say five done in this manner, highlight five frames and Ctrl-Alt-C them. Select the next empty frame and volia 5 become 10, 10 become 20, and so on, repeat as many times as frames you need to display your photos.

Now you need to import your movies into Flash and place one on each of the frames. Your back and next buttons should take your through your honeymoon.

There may be an easier way but this is good hands-on for using Flash.

Cheers

------------------
    Kevan
    www.kevan11.com

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

here is a little more straight forward approch. Make a new symbol make it a movie clip. Put a stop action in the first frame. Now Import all the pictures you want in the presentation. Make 94 keyframes in the movie clip place each picture in a seperate keyframe. Now go to the main timeline and drag your movie clip onto the stage in a frame at the end of your intro. Put a stop action in the frame. double click on the movie clip with the pictures in it and when the dialog box opens up name the clip pictures in the lower right hand corrner.

now put your buttons on the main stage with the movie clip and add this action to the one you want to have them go forward.

On (Release)
    Begin Tell Target ("pictures")
    Go to Next Frame
    End Tell Target
    End On

On the button you want to have them go back put this action.
    On (Release)
    Begin Tell Target ("pictures")
    Go to Previous Frame
    End Tell Target
    End On

This will give you the most control over the slide show.
    Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

Smile

Thank you VERY much for the help.....
    Sorry it took so long to reply. Been busy.

Everything worked out perfectly.

Thanks again,

- Alex