A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: more on optimizing curves

Smile

this is my first anime done in flash, the file size is really big about 67kB, i dont know yet of optimizing the curves, and now, it decreased up to 20 kB. too much nodes really eats up bytes. ^_~

[swf width=200 height=250 background="#FFFFFF"]http://weavearts10.tripod.com/anime2.swf[/swf]

I could be way off on this, but one trade off you might want to consider is.. well i noticed you don't use any lines... for instance on his neck line, etc. anyway, i'd try using hairlines instead of fill. it doesn't look as good but will probably reduce file size

also, there are two or three frames to that movie right?

did you make the majority of his body that doesn't change a symbol? cus if its all just shapes sitting there in the open or in a group, that'll up the file size

Hi, dustmen and elektrisyan. I was wondering...

Dustmen, when you said to use "hairlines instead of fill", what does that mean? I'm very new to Flash so I don't understand. You said that reduces file size?

Elektrisyan, "Hi". I like all of your windblast effects. Could you tell me, what does "optimizing curves" mean?

Originally posted by chairo01
    Hi, dustmen and elektrisyan. I was wondering...

Dustmen, when you said to use "hairlines instead of fill", what does that mean? I'm very new to Flash so I don't understand. You said that reduces file size?

Elektrisyan, "Hi". I like all of your windblast effects. Could you tell me, what does "optimizing curves" mean?
    "Hairline" means the smallest line width in flash, the difference between it and other lines is it keeps it's width no matter how much you zoom in. (try it yourself, it's the one that looks like an "H". )

Lines take up less processor power and file space because they're simpler shapes than the fills.

I hope that makes sense..
    [Edited by ThundaChunk on 04-16-2001 at 04:10 PM]

Thanks for explaining that Thuda,

Where Hairlines get icky is when you shrink something down, because it stays the same size, if your going really small, they end up being mostly lines, so i'm finding that you almost need to make a Low-Res version of characters for when they're small, basically less detail lines.

that can make the file size bigger cus its another version of the character... of course you can solve that by being really anal about making symbols and have all the detail lines in symbols and just take them out when the need arrises

Thank you for explaining that to me. Very useful information. I'll go try that out right away.

Smile exactly the reason y i dont like lines

lines doesnt change their size even u zoom it out, for me that sucks, they can also ruin the "clean" look of the movie, also, its hard 2 shape tween with lines. though they can reduce bytes of a movie, might as well sacrifice those and go on 4 optimizing the curves and nodes.
    i used 4 frames 4 his outfit, 2 for his hair, and 2 for his eyes, a layer 4 his body.

optimizing curves means that u reduce the nodes of the image, usually when u draw (with brush tool) and ur hand shakes, thats the time u get multiple nodes on ur image. what i do is right click on the fill and click on smooth or straighten many times till the nodes reduces.
    hope u understand. ^_^

well in fact lines don't always stay the same size on zoom... hairline always stays the same size, other lines in a group stay the same size i believe, while lines in a symbol scale up witht the symbol... i could have those reversed but i know its something like that... as for how it looks, like I said, its a trade off... also are you using any syumbols in that animation? not sure how your breaking it apart, i make as many symbols as i can.. within reason.

Just remember not to overoptimize for the sake of file size - I have seen too many animations that take on an ameturish look because you can pick out someone who just applied the maximum curve optimize, and all of their curves take on this "Flash" look.

Another trick you may want to look at is tracing your image using the pen/pencil tools, then converting lines into fills for the sake of shape tweening - you can also pull nodes or run some optimize cuves on these lines afterward to give them a "rougher" feeling.

what again??!?!?

Originally posted by CNO
    Just remember not to overoptimize for the sake of file size - I have seen too many animations that take on an ameturish look because you can pick out someone who just applied the maximum curve optimize, and all of their curves take on this "Flash" look.

Another trick you may want to look at is tracing your image using the pen/pencil tools, then converting lines into fills for the sake of shape tweening - you can also pull nodes or run some optimize cuves on these lines afterward to give them a "rougher" feeling.
    converting lines to curve? how would i do that? something i want 2 know again cno.

i really don't like the lines look like, i tried 2 use lines but it really doesnt look good for me. i notice them jaggy with curves, i dunno if u notice them too.

It's under Modify>Curves>Lines to fills.

Can be very useful - you could get a lot out of an image with a relatively small file size using the two in-tandem and selectively converting lines to fills on areas you want to shape tween.

Smile thx again

it would be very helpful for me coz it really sux drawing ooutlines in fills, it uses up too much time for me drawing in flash. thx again

i believe its under Modify>Shape>Covert Line To Fill

at least on the PC, i' don't know what the menu is called on the mac

Don't you hate when you optimize a shape and it gives you a 100% curve reduction and makes the shape dissapear?

I know this isn't really that important, but i have my eye on that senior member title, cause along with it you get superhuman abilities im told. You can run faster, be stronger, and flash longer.

just what we need. Scythe Flashing Longer!.... eewwwwww