A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: "Autostart" on MAC

Does anyone know how to setup a cross-hybrid burn for the MAC and PC. I know how to create the autostart for the PC, but i'm clueless about how to go about it on the mac.

A lot of people ask this question and to be honest in my six years of Macintoshing i have never seen an autorun macintosh CD. I could be wrong. The quicktime player will automatically start playing audio CD's but i've never seen a program actually start when i popped in the CD. The thing most companies do for mac CD's is use a program that arranges the folder icons in the CD-Rom's window to resemble a picture, there are several shareware apps that do this, you take a pic from photoshop or fireworks import it into one of these fancy shmancy programs and you've got a picture in your folder. I don't recall the exact names, but i've got about 5 on my old macaddict CD's. Don't worry about an autostart with a mac, we don't use 'em and most of us would rather dink around in the CD rather than have it just pop up on it's own.

might know someone with an answer

I'll get back to you on this

Hi, I found some information at the boards of http://www.macfixit.com and it´s like I said in previous threads:
    You can burn ISO/Hybrid Autostart CD with good CD burner Software. This is for example TOAST on the MAC.
    Auto start on Mac only works when:
    1. Quicktime (V3 and up ?) is installed on the Mac you put the CD in, and the "autostart CD" option in the QT settings of QT is enabled. Some Users disable this feature because of known "Autostart" Worm viruses!
    With the "autostart" option disabled the whole thing does not work!
    2. In Toast you can enable the "Autostart" option and then have to choose a file or (application) to start when the CD is inserted.

This should work,
    but one problem is the "creator/type" scheme of Macs. The Mac identifies a file with this information and opens the corresponding application.
    If a Mac is not configured right or the corresponding app is missing you most times get a window with the list of installed apps to choose to open the file with. If the file cannot be identified at all, you get an error message that the file cannot be opened because the right app is missing.

http://www.macfixit.com/ultimate/For...ML/000608.html
    http://www.macfixit.com/ultimate/For...ML/000392.html

cheers

If you are using Toast to write your CD, Click on "Data" button and one of the options there will be an Auto start check box that asks you to select an autostart file when checked.

Secret Agent
    and if the file to autostart is a flash "application" on the mac it will have no problems opening it. the only problem would be (logically) if you had an swf file and the user did not have the flash player installed.
    go for it.
    but like me2222 said... lots of people disable the autostart option in the quicktime control panel... so it wouldn't hurt to make it really easy for the mac user to find what is supposed to be opened...
    this can be done by making a disk image on the mac of the folder that you want to burn. then open the disk image and center the flash projector so that it is obvious that this is what you should click. then when you go to burn it with toast leave the window open... the finished cd should also have the same attribute.
    hope this works for you!
    aldorr.

How to Autostart a cd on a Mac

1. Use Disk Copy or Toast to create a Disk Image partition on Desktop. Set Partition size according to cdrom size.

2. Use ResEdit to hide files so they are invisible on the cd. Do not hide the .exe or Mac projector. Make sure paths of files in projector are correct. You can place all files next to each other to reduce risk of paths getting broken.

3. Copy all files except PC only files to Disk Image you just created.

4. Launch Toast and select custom hybrid in the "other" category.

5. Select Mac files first. Place files in Mac area. Click Data next to the Mac area. Select Autostart option and select the file you want to autostart. Click on OK.

(Steps 6 & 7 are for burning cross platform cds)

6. Select PC only (.exe, autostart.inf, etc.) files and drag drop to ISO and name the cd.

7. Click Add button and select the image you created for the Mac side, and select each file or folder individually that will be shared. (QuickTime files, installer files, etc.)

8. Burn baby burn!

Note: the autostart.inf file tells Windows computers to autostart the cd.

creating an autorun CD for Macs

Do you happen to know what the procedure might be if I'm working from a PC and trying to burn an autorun CD for Macs that will start with an html file??

Originally posted by aldorr
    and if the file to autostart is a flash "application" on the mac it will have no problems opening it. the only problem would be (logically) if you had an swf file and the user did not have the flash player installed.
    go for it.
    but like me2222 said... lots of people disable the autostart option in the quicktime control panel... so it wouldn't hurt to make it really easy for the mac user to find what is supposed to be opened...
    this can be done by making a disk image on the mac of the folder that you want to burn. then open the disk image and center the flash projector so that it is obvious that this is what you should click. then when you go to burn it with toast leave the window open... the finished cd should also have the same attribute.
    hope this works for you!
    aldorr.

Just found a TechNote at macromedia:
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...ashautorun.htm