A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Transitions

Question

I am designing a flash site, but am stumped on one aspect of its design. I'm really not sure how to transition between sections. (i.e. how to go from the main screen to links when the button is clicked). I know how to make the button go to a specified frame when clicked, etc, but the transition is what stumps me.

Since I don't want a huge transition that warrants some sort of back button to return to the menu, and only a simple either fade or slide transition, I'm not sure what to do. If I specify to go to frame 50, for example when the "Links" button is clicked, if I put a movie of the main text fading or sliding away, then the Links text sliding in, that will only work when transitioning from the main text to the links text. If a person was looking at the "Contact" page first, then clicked the links button, they would all of a sudden see the main text fade away, even though they were just looking at the Contact text. See what I mean?

I don't want to have a separate transition for every possible combination (I have 7 different pages, so 49 different combinations, each occupying 5-10 frames....) since it would be too much of a hassle. Is there a solution to my problem?

How can I make the current text fade out, and the new text fade in, no matter what page people are looking at before they click?

Sorry if you are totally confused, but thank you for any help.

_-bMd-_

Question

Since I haven't gotten any answers, let me try to clarify.

I have broken up my movie into a separate scene for each page. At the beginning there are 20 blank frames (more on this later). After the 20 blank frames, there is a motion tween where that pages content slides in from the right, until it reaches a keyframe with the "Stop" command.

On a separate layer, there is a static menu that never changes from page to page. When someone clicks on one of the buttons on my menu (like [Samples]), I want the action of the button to be to play the rest of that scene (which is an animation of the content sliding off left), and change to the scene that holds the new content.

So, the script on my samples button on a given page would be:

On (Release)
    Play
    Go to and Play (Samples, 1)
    End On

I left the 20 blank frames at the beginning of each scene in the hope that the action for the button above would play the rest of the current scene's animation (the content leaving for about 15 frames), and then pause for 5 frames, and then have the Samples content slide in.

Is there any way to "delay" the scene change until the current one finishes playing that can be specified in the button?

Please help me out.

_-bMd-_

Exclamation

Post your URL so we can have a look at the site.

i am right there with you on this dilemna and hope that someone has some ideas as to ease in and out of scenes....sorry i can't help but will be curiose to hear any ideas folks might have.....dmw
    http://www.datasis.com

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

What I would do and what I do is:
    What you use scence for I use "movie clips" You can put an empty frame in the first frame of the movie clip with a stop aciton. Then you just put the Movie clip (entire page) on the main stage. When you click on your button (Which the menu is in its own movie clip)you can have it goto a specific frame within the movie clip that has all the information in it. Your menu at this point can be animated and you only have to have one instance of the menu. I will send you a little sample tonight Eastern Standard Time on how to do this. If you use this method your sites will be much easier to manage and will be smaller in size. eaiser for me to show you with a fla than to walk you through it. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000100.swf" quality=high WIDTH=375 HEIGHT=75 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Talking

Thanks much!