A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: XML Socket problem

Hello !

Here is my problem:
    I have a java socket server that send XML data to a flash movie in a browser. My flash movie is on a IIS Web Server. This works well when the XML server and the Web Server are on the same machine.
    But when the XML server and the IIS Web Server are on different machine (but in the same domain), the flash movie can't connect to the XML server.
    However, if the flash movie is published on a .exe form, it works... But i want it to work in SWF form (in a browser) !

Can you help me ?
    Thanks.

Hiya!

The problems you describe are likely the event of security features built into the Flash plug-in that prevent you from connecting to a different subdomain than that on which the .swf file resides. This includes differing IP addresses that do not resolve to the same subdomain!

I may be mistaken but I think you're confusing Windows NT/2k domains with IP domains. So even if the XML server is within the same NT/2k domain it could still be [and likely is] at a different IP address than the IIS server, thus invoking the security restrictions.

The reason it works when the Flash file is published as a .exe file is that the Flash player does not have this restriction!

Is there any particular reason why you're trying to run the XML server on a different machine than the web server?

Regards,

Steve

same IP subdomain !

Thanks you for your response.

Ok, I agree with you with the flash restriction, but I know that my 2 machines are on the same NT/2k domain and also on the same IP subdomain ! so it should work, no ?

I don't understand this:
    When I have two server machines on the same IP subdomain (one XML, one Web), when a client connect to the web server, the client download the html and the swf, then the swf connect directly on the XML server, so it the same as when there is only one machine for the 2 servers : the client connect directly to the XML socket server...
    So why it is working on the second case, and not on the first case ?

CyberSeb

2 differents machines ?

I want 2 differents server machines because my XML server can be on a different place (it can send XML data from an outside sensor for example).

I forgot to say that if I make a LAN network drive connexion on a machine to the IIS directory on the Web server, and then I put an local address like "g:/test/movie.html" on IE5, it works !
    (g is my network drive to the IIS server)

So I don't understant anything...

Did u get any solution

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSeb
    I forgot to say that if I make a LAN network drive connexion on a machine to the IIS directory on the Web server, and then I put an local address like "g:/test/movie.html" on IE5, it works !
    (g is my network drive to the IIS server)

So I don't understant anything...
    Hi,
    I am facing the same problem as you were and I could not get the solution. If you got something plz send me. Email fahadnabbasi@hotmail.com
    Regards,
    Fahad . Abbasi