dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: job vacancies

hey guys, why did you pull the plug on job vacancies/for hire?
    I checked the new vacancies site but it appears to be US only. no good for me in UK.
    bring it back please...

i second that emotion!

Flashkit is becoming less and less useful by the day...

Oh well...

Yet another complaint

I definately agree with Darkstar on this. I'm totally sympathetic with the fact that most of Flashkit users are US based, but still, you know?... These boards were a great place to find real world portfolio building opportunities, and now it's gone.
    Admin ir whoever, please consider bringing the jobs boards back. Or at least do something about that portfolio builders board you were thinking of.

I agree 100% BRING BACK THE JOB FORUM!!!

I'll see what I can do, it was also disappointing for us to loose the job forums. The non US jobs is a great point.

job vacs

Thanks Scills, anything you can do would be appreciated.
    nice to get an informed reply.
    Cheers.

Not really, it is a internet.com corporate thing. I suspect it has to do with obligations Internet.com has with dic.com after its purchase of all the earthweb content sites. FYI, dice.com is the old earthweb company now.

Scills. There are numerous posts about this in the lounge and team news. Basically a large chunk of the community used the job vacancies and fore hire boards. They were a very useful board and some people used them successfully to find work. Dice.com to put it mildly is a bit crap, not many flash jobs and those that are are simply reaped from other job sites and therefore can be quite old and out of date.

I understand internet.com's motives for soing this (profit) but I cannot abide the mazi way they throw there weight around. Fill out this form with your complaints, lets get internet.com listening to us that dice.com isn't and never will be a replacement for our much missed boards.

http://www.internet.com/help/feedback.html

Hippie, flashdavo, jimmy, darkstar, cyberdrake, mikealien and other regulars on the board, keep the peace man, we'll sort this out one way or another

I and all the team at FK and the internet.com web developer channel empathize fully. It is most disappointing for us and all FK members. I understand it is a contractual obligation to Dice.com. Notwithstanding, I can only encourage members to express there feelings by writing to Internet.com's feedback as we have run out of options.

My sincerest apologies. Lets hope the power of the people can do more

cheers mate

Scills et al

I understand that your hands are tied, and I sympathize with the fact that there is little you can do about this situation.

Call me a pessimist, but I have little faith that writing internet.com will resolve anything. I consider this to be the early stages of what I refer to as the inevitable "corporatizing" of the internet.

Sad, but, in an era where search engines are starting to charge for listings so the average viewer gets to see only the sites that can afford to pay, this is just one more step in the internet becoming as commercial and profit-driven as everything else these days.

I will write them anyway, just like I vote anyway, but I no longer have faith that my voice means anything when compared to the relentless drive to increase quarterly profits for faceless stockholders who must get their new Mercedes this year.

But I'm not bitter.

regards,

Tyke

In a way Internet.com did a favour for the free Internet world, although it provides us here little solice. They bought the whole earthweb channel for $500k as Earthweb were one of their struggling competitors. The "old" earthweb company still operates Dice.com, it appears part of this rationization process and sale was a non compete on the jobs side of things. Although, my personal opinion was that we weren't hurting anyone. Without Internet.com I think the earthweb content sites would have died. I also think the corporatising of the internet, is mainly a good thing. You will always find people like us that do a lot of unpaid work on sites but at the end of the day there must be revenue models to support internet business and investment into the future. As the owners of Flash Kit, internet.com are surprisingly hands off.

Well said...

Originally posted by Scills
    In a way Internet.com did a favour for the free Internet world, although it provides us here little solice. They bought the whole earthweb channel for $500k as Earthweb were one of their struggling competitors.
    I wasn't aware that their situation was so dire, my impression was that this was another leviathan corporate manoeuvre, its aim to crush the competition, as opposed to the rescue of a company in distress and beneficial to all parties.

I also think the corporatising of the internet, is mainly a good thing. You will always find people like us that do a lot of unpaid work on sites but at the end of the day there must be revenue models to support internet business and investment into the future. As the owners of Flash Kit, internet.com are surprisingly hands off.
    Well said. I didn't mean to imply that the profitting from the internet is, in and of itself, an evil thing. Everyone needs to make a living, or I'd be designing sites for free.
    My opinion was based on the original "leviathan" assumption.

regards,

Tyke

Cool Tyke, The internet is changing. The site I could never understand was theglobe.com, I saw it was delisted from the NASDAQ yesterday. There must be a balance between good and profit

The Minister of No Crap

I sent my piece of mind to internet.com, but like some have already said, I don't know if it will do any good.

There is something I have noticed about the forums latey. There seems to be less and less posts as there used to be. Anyone know the official hit counts and such? Have they changed since internet.com started making thier changes?

Just curious.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com

Whilst there are stax of great and informative boards on Flashkit, Job Vacancies arguably had the most impact on the real-world livelihood of Flashers. It's a bummer of a call, guys!

And as for Dice.com........sorry, NO DICE!

Pixel Boy

P.S. As RazoRmedia suggests, anyone who cares should tell Internet.com what they think 'bout this:

http://www.internet.com/help/feedback.html

[Edited by pixelboy on 04-26-2001 at 08:17 PM]

Board traffic has been stable at around 150,000 page views a day since the jobs forums closed. Let me know if you get an answer from internet.com. I too, filled out a few feedback forms